Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Home > Licenses and Permits > Trapping Licenses

Trapping Licenses

Trapping License Fees


Junior Trapping License (10 to 15 years) - $9.00

Apprentice Trapping (16 years and older) - $35.00

Adult Trapping License (16 years and older) - $35.00

Disabled Veterans, Native Americans, and Over 70 years of age - No Fee

Bear Trapping License (10 years and older) - $27.00


Nonresident Trapping License (10 years and older) - $317.00

Apprentice Trapping License (16 years and older) - $317.00

Bear Trapping License (10 years and older) - $67.00

Trapping License Application PDF

To view the PDF document, you will need the free Adobe Reader. If you need assistance, view our PDF Help page, email us or call us at (207) 287-8000.

Who needs a trapping license?

Except for certain landowners and children, everyone must have the appropriate trapping license before going out to trap or before going out to help another person who is trapping. (An unlicensed person may accompany a trapper only as an observer.)

Which trapping license do I need? Also see bear trapping license below.

If you are a Maine resident under 10 years old, you may trap without a license, except that a person under 10 years of age is not allowed to trap bear.

If you are a Maine resident who is at least 10 but less than 16 years old, you must have a junior trapping license (see resident landowner below). (Note: A junior trapping license issued to a 15 year old is good for the entire year regardless of when the person turns 16.)

If you are a Maine resident who is 16 years of age or older, you must have a resident trapping license (see resident landowner below).

Resident landowners, and immediate family members, may trap (except for beaver) without a trapping license on their own land IF they actually live on that land AND the land is used only for agricultural purposes. (If you trap for beaver, you must have a trapping license.)

If you are a nonresident, regardless of age, you must have a nonresident trapping license. (Note: Nonresidents are not allowed to trap for beaver.)

If you are a nonresident who is not a citizen of the United States (nonresident alien), you are not allowed to trap in Maine.

Apprenticeship Trapping License: An apprenticeship trapping license permits a person 16 years of age or older who has never trapped or taken a trapper safety course, to trap under the supervision of a person at least 18 years of age who has held a valid trapping license for 3 consecutive years. The supervisor would be responsible for ensuring that the holder of the apprenticeship license follows safe and ethical trapping protocol as well as all trapping laws.

A person may only hold this license once and in order for that person to obtain a regular license, they would still be required to take the appropriate trapper safety course(s). For more information, see Apprenticeship Trapper License.

Bear Trapping License

A bear trapping license is required in addition to a regular trapping license, for all trappers (10 years of age and older) to trap bear during the bear trapping season.

Where can I get a trapping license?

Currently all trapping licenses are issued from the Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Office in Augusta, 284 State Street, 41 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333. The Department will no longer be mailing out trapping applications as part of a cost-saving measure. You can download the trapping application, print, and mail to:

Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
284 State Street
41 SHS
Augusta, ME 04333-0041

How long does a trapping license remain valid?

A trapping license remains valid from July 1st through June 30th of the following year.

Do I need to take a trapper education course?

When you apply for any Maine trapping license (except a junior trapping license), you must show proof of having successfully completed a state-approved trapper education course or show proof of having held an adult trapping license (in Maine or any other state, province or country) since 1978.

There is an affidavit available for individuals who don't have proof of a previous adult trapping license or completion of a trapper education course, that can filled out and notorized. See Affidavit.

List of Trapper Education Courses.

For information on trapping laws and rules, see current hunting law book.