Information for Graduates of Foreign Nursing Programs (other than Canada) RNs
(As of January 1, 2003, Maine is no longer a
"walk-through" state for endorsements)
Information for Graduates of Foreign Nursing Programs (other than Canada) - Registered Professional Nurses
Licensing requirements for the practice of nursing are established individually by each state.
Applicants who are graduates of approved nursing education programs not located in the United States of America must meet the following requirements for Maine licensure:
- completion of an approved 4 year high school course of study or its equivalent,
- completion of a course of not less than two years in an approved nursing education program preparing graduates for licensure as registered nurses and hold a diploma therefrom,
- have met educational requirements in medical, surgical, obstetrical, pediatric, and psychiatric nursing,
- have been duly licensed by examination in their own countries,
- have passed the qualifying examination given by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS),
- have passed the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX®) for registered nurses, and
- have been issued a U.S. Social Security number (which can be obtained at a Social Security Administration office).
Information about the examination given by the CGFNS may be obtained from the nearest American Embassy or consulate or from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools, 3600 Market Street, Suite 400, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2679 U.S.A., (215) 349-8767.
In order for the Board of Nursing to determine your eligibility to become licensed in Maine, the procedure is as follows:
- submit a completed notarized application including U.S. Social Security number and the required application fee in U.S. currency,
We now accept Visa/MasterCard! (Please print this page and include it with your application.)
Please provide the following:
CREDIT CARD # _______________________________
CREDIT CARD EXPIRATION: (mm/yy)___/___
YOUR BILLING ADDRESS:
Click here for the RN application (PDF)
- submit evidence of having passed the examination given by CGFNS,
- request your school of nursing send directly to our office an official transcript of your student final record in English, showing theory and correlated clinical experience,
- request the licensing authority in your country where you wrote your licensing examination send official verification of your original registered nursing license directly to our office.
Click here for the Maine verification form (PDF)
You may not be employed as a registered nurse in Maine until all licensure requirements have been completed and approved by the Maine State Board of Nursing.