All BCF prisoners are encouraged to pursue educational goals and use the resources of the Education Department. Classification refers everyone interested in programs as well as everyone who is not a high school graduate for needs assessment and placement. Programs include:
- Adult Basic Ed: Skill building in math, reading, writing
- GED: Preparation and testing for the high school equivalency diploma.
- Counseling: Vocational and educational planning; life skills workshops; pre-release preparation
- College: televised courses through the Education Network of Maine and the Southern Maine Community College via NovaNet.
The Education Department manages the Library. It also sponsors special programs provided by volunteers and groups from the outside, including:
- Literacy: Work one-on-one with Literacy Volunteers of America (LVA) Certified tutors.
- New Books, New Readers, a project of the Maine Humanities Council, focuses on the rewards of reading in workshop series for readers at all levels.
- Choice Education, an awareness program targeting young adults.