Does the Maine Department of Corrections (MDOC) Web Site have an inmate search?
An online inmate search is currently under development.
Back to Top

How do I find information about an inmate? 

The Department of Corrections receives prisoners after they have been tried, convicted, and sentenced to a term of more than nine (9) months. If they are incarcerated prior to conviction, or sentenced to fewer than nine (9) months, they would be in a county jail. We do not have access to those records. You must contact the county jail directly.

For public information about offenders who have already been sentenced to more than nine (9) months.

Are you looking for genealogical information?

We can help you if:
  • Your search is for criminal justice related purposes;
  • Your search is recent enough that we have electronic records for that time period.

    Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to help you if your search is for personal interest or recreational purposes.

You may find the State Library helpful. The Secretary of State's Office also maintains archives of public records and has a website that looks useful:

Back to Top

How do I find out if someone has a criminal record?
Criminal records are maintained by the State Bureau of Identification. They have added an online site which provides electronic access to request criminal history record and juvenile crime information maintained by the Maine State Police. This records search will provide you with conviction and adjudication information for adult and juvenile crimes committed within the State of Maine.
Obtain more information and instructions
Back to Top

Does the MDOC Web Site have a Sex Offender Search?
The Department of Public Safety has developed an online resource for publishing Sex Offender information. The Sex Offender Registry Search page has more information.
Back to Top

Are there job openings at the Maine Department of Corrections?
Yes. Go to our Employment page.

Back to Top

Where are all the facilities located?
You can find the location information of each facility by going to the facilities page
Back to Top
I am a family member of an inmate, how do I find out how he/she is doing?

The inmate controls the release of information to family and friends. If the inmate does not inform you of how he/she is doing you may contact the inmate's case manager by calling the facility where he/she is located.

Back to Top

How can I make a payment for restitution and/or supervision fees?
There are three payment methods accepted for making restitution and supervision payments: certified bank or cashier check, U.S. Postal Service Money Order, or credit card. Please read and follow these instructions for making payments.
What is the new Client Phone System (CPS)?
  • Flat rate for Debit CPS calls: 30 cents per minute from any DOC facility to anywhere in North America; with no connect fee! (Rates table)
  • Multiple levels of security, ensuring each client's money is used for his/her calls
  • The client’s telephone funds and allowed calling list automatically follow the Client on transfers between DOC facilities
  • Family & friends can purchase minutes for clients
  • Telephone funds directly deposited to the Telephone Account are exempt from restitution or other obligation deductions
  • International calls are permitted for debit calls; unavailable for collect calls
  • Debit CPS System owned and operated by the DOC

NOTE : Collect calling is no longer necessary, but is still available through a third party with connect fees and higher rates.

Read more about the phone system....

How can I send money for an inmates phone account?
There are currently two (2) ways to deposit funds in a Debit CPS Account:
  1. Friends and family may send a personal check or money order to a Client
    • Clearly mark "Telephone Account" on the check
    • Do not combine funds for the Debit CPS Account and the Trust Account in a single check
    • The check amount is converted to minutes and placed in the Client's Phone Account
    • These funds are exempt from the normal obligation deductions (NOTE: Funds remaining in the Debit CPS Account upon Client release are subject to these deductions.)
  2. Clients may request a transfer of funds from their Trust Accounts to their Debit CPS Account (NOTE: Remember, these funds have already had appropriate obligation deductions deducted when originally deposited in the Trust Account.)

NOTE: We are exploring the possibility of enabling friends and family to deposit funds to a Client's Debit CPS Account and Trust Account online via the website.

Why are inmates transferred from one facility to another?
An inmate may be transferred if:
  • the inmate has an increase or decrease in custody level
  • the inmate takes part in a specific program located at another facility
  • there are other special circumstances on a case by case basis.
Back to Top

What is a custody level?
Custody Level: The degree of supervision required for each offender. Custody levels are Minimum, Medium, Close, and Administrative Segregation.
Back to Top

How do I file a complaint about an MDOC staff member or facility?

  • First call the facility or Community Corrections office where the incident took place and speak with the Warden or Regional Correctional Administrator.
  • If you don't feel that your complaint has been resolved, you can file a written complaint with the Director of Human Resources.
  • In your complaint please provide a detailed account of the incident with full names of the parties involved. Be sure to include a daytime phone number where we can reach you. If you have an email address, please provide it as well.
  • A complaint may be emailed to Charlene Gamage or sent to:

Charlene Gamage
Maine Department of Corrections
111 State House Station
Augusta ME 04333

Back to Top

How do I contact the Commissioner?
You can contact him by email to Dr. Joseph Fitzpatrick
Back to Top