Transfer and Importation Permits
It remains illegal to import any aquatic species from beyond Maine’s borders without approval from the appropriate state agency.
Existing cultivation permit holders, producers, and R&D facilities should take note that transfer and importation permit authority has not changed. If you have a need for either type of permit, you should apply directly to the appropriate individuals at the Department of Marine Resources (DMR) or the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (IF&W), as you have in the past.
- Marcy Nelson at DMR, Marcy.Nelson@maine.gov, 207-633-9502
- DMR Importation, Introduction, and Transfer Forms
- David Russell at IF&W, David.Russell@maine.gov, 207-287-2813
- Todd Langevin at IF&W, Todd.Langevin@maine.gov, 207-287-5262
- IF&W Fish Importation Form (PDF)
IF&W Stocking and Cultivation Permits
Pond stocking permits and cultivation permits for facilities which primarily produce fish for stocking into fresh surface waters of the State are issued by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.
- IF&W Cultivation Permits Contact: Todd Langevin, Todd.Langevin@maine.gov, 287-5262
- Pond Stocking Contact: Fisheries Division, 287-5261
DMR Aquaculture Leases and Licenses
Leases and licenses for the cultivation of marine species within the public coastal waters of the state remain under the authority of Department of Marine Resources.
- Michele Walsh
Maine State Veterinarian