Maine Pull Event Commission
The Pull Events Commission is tasked with establishing the qualifications and procedure for the certification of Pull Superintendents and Assistant Pull Superintendents and guidelines for dealing with violations at events. It also periodically reviews the statutory rules for pulls and recommends to the Legislature changes as necessary. The commission gives advice and recommendations to the Commissioner on request or as the commission considers necessary and coordinates, develops and conducts Pull Superintendent training seminars.
The Pull Events Commission is authorized by Title 5, section 12004-G, subsection 3-A. Appointments to the Pull Events Commission are for terms of 2 years. The appointing authority fills a vacancy for a full 2-year term and may remove a commission member for cause, which includes poor attendance. The chair shall make recommendations to the appointing authority concerning a removal.
It consists of the following ten members.
- Two members appointed by a statewide association representing owners of draft horses and oxen who participate in pulling events.
- One member appointed by an association representing owners of oxen who participate in pulling events.
- One member appointed by a statewide farmers association representing owners of draft oxen.
- One fair Superintendent appointed by a state association of agricultural fairs.
- One representative appointed by state humane organizations.
- One member, appointed by the Commissioner, representing the general public.
- One member, appointed by the Commissioner, representing the animal Pulling industry.
- One member appointed by the Animal Welfare Advisory Council.
- One member appointed by a statewide farmers association representing owners of draft horses.
Current Pull Events Commission Members Serving Two Year Terms
Animal Pull Industry
336 So. Beech Hill Rd.
Pittston, ME 04345
Animal Welfare Advisory Council
Errol F. Additon
1105 Church hill Road
Leeds, ME 04263
State Humane Organization
Farmers Draft Oxen Association
100 Benton Road
Albion, ME 04910
Farmers Draft Horse Association
36 Hideaway Drive
Sidney, ME 04330
Henry W. Jackson
Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation & Forestry
28 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
Pine Tree Ox Assoc.
P.O. Box 142
Peru, ME 04290
Maine Horse and Ox Assoc.
Hebert Mosher, Jr.
P.O. Box 342
Temple, ME 04984
Maine Horse and Ox Assoc.
P.O. Box 26
New Sharon, ME 04955
David Woods, Sr.
P.O. Box 148
Clinton, ME 04927
Maine Assoc. of Agricultural Fairs
C. Richard Hall
P.O. Box 101
East Dixfield, ME 04227