Discretionary Education Grants
Theresa Torrent, Coastal Educator and Communications Coordinator, (Theresa.Torrent@maine.gov; 207-287-2351)
To fund educational efforts relating to Maine coastal issues and projects which relate to greater ocean literacy.
Provides small grant funding for a variety of coastal education and outreach efforts.
Selected Project Examples
- Rippleffect - Ocean Literacy Trail
- Maine Aquaculture Innovation Center - Oyster Gardening Program
- Maine Island Trail Association - Island Cleanup and Data Collection Initiative
- Gulf of Maine Marine Educators Association - National Marine Educators Conference sponsorship
- The Lobster Conservancy - Lobster Literacy: Lobster Nursery Mapping Project
- MDI Water Quality Coalition - Support for the Hancock Co Youth Watershed Forum
- Pemaquid Watershed Association - Enhance educational programming for the Beachcombers' Rest Nature Center
- Medomak Valley Land Trust - Community based watershed education programming and water quality monitoring of the Medomak watershed.
- Maine Island Trail Association - Support of Trail Guide and development of an Ocean Literacy education component.
- City of Augusta - Support of the Kennebec Celebration and education of the community on watersheds and diadromous fish habitat
- Oceans Wide
Approximately $10,000 is available each year for these grants.
Ongoing as available
Supporting a diverse range of coastal education and ocean stewardship efforts.