Outreach and Education Programs
A crucial part of the Maine Coastal Program's mission is to educate the public about coastal issues and promote good stewardship. We do this through a variety of projects (see below), working with various partners.
- Coastweek: annual celebration of our coastal resources which includes the coastal cleanup
- Coastal Education Sponsorships: small discretionary grants to educational efforts relating to Maine coastal issues and projects which relate to greater ocean literacy
- Friends of Maine Seabird Islands: organization in Maine committed specifically to conservation and restoration of seabirds and the island habitat on which they depend
- Outreach Committee for the Gulf of Maine Council, whose mission is to maintain and enhance environmental quality in the Gulf of Maine to allow for sustainable resource use by existing and future generations.
- Gulf of Maine Marine Education Association
- Gulf of Maine Times: newspaper promoting cooperation to maintain and enhance environmental quality in the Gulf of Maine
- Midcoast and Penobscot Bay Stewards: educational program promoting citizen stewardship
- New England Ocean Science Education Collaborative: collaborative of educators and scientists to educate the public about oceans and promote Ocean Literacy
- Maine Coastline: newsletter of the Maine Coastal Program