Mining and Quarrying in Maine
- Our virtual tour (PDF, 2.8Mb) is a series of photos which portray some of the history and types of Maine mining and quarrying.
- Metallic Mineral Deposits of Maine (map)
- Known occurrences of metallic minerals shown on a generalized geologic map of Maine. Locations of ten "significant" deposits also shown. For more information, see Maine's Mineral Resources database.
- Maine's Mineral Resources (database)
- Comprehensive information about metallic and non-metallic mineral resources compiled for 1083 sites in Maine, including occurrences, showings, prospects, significant deposits, and historical mines. Available as Google Earth maps and as a database for download. Includes town, reported commodities, site characteristics, and source information for each locality.
- Core Repository and Mineral Exploration Data
- The Maine Geological Survey maintains a repository of rock core obtained by diamond drilling for mineral exploration projects over many years. In addition to the physical rock core that have been donated to the Maine Survey, there are associated paper records, which include such things as maps of drill core locations, technical logs of drill core, and a limited amount of geochemical and geophysical information and geologic reports.
- Publication Search
- To search for mineral investigation reports, aeromagnetic and gravity maps, enter appropriate keywords in our Publication Search page.
- History of Mining in Maine
- Mining in Maine: Past, Present, and Future - general history of Maine mining
- Metal Mining
- Metal Mining and the Environment - General geoscience information about the types of environmetal issues related to mining metallic minerals. Available as 64 p. booklet or free download (from the American Geosciences Institute).
- Alder Pond Massive Sulfide Deposit - Will mining return to Maine??? (PDF, 0.7Mb)
- History of Metal Mining in Maine - fact sheet giving general history
- Thar's Silver in Them Thar Hills: Maine's Silver Rush (PDF, 0.9Mb) - description of Maine's silver rush in 1878-1882
- The Iron Age of Maine - 1800's - Katahdin Iron Works - bog iron operation in the 1800's (PDF, 0.8Mb)
- The Iron Age of Maine, Part II - The Shapleigh Iron Company: A Foray into Industrial (geo)Archaeology (PDF, 2.1Mb)
- Exploration and Mining on State Lands - Regulations
- Mineral Exploration and Mining on State Lands - requirements and procedures for exploring on state lands
- Stone Quarrying
- Exterior Stone of Some Architecturally Prominent Buildings, Portland, Maine (PDF, 1.8Mb)
- Granite Quarrying in Maine (PDF, 0.8Mb) - general description of Maine's granite quarries
- History of Quarrying in Maine
- Mosquito Mountain Quarry (PDF, 1.9Mb)
- Geochemical Information
Last updated on March 29, 2013