Maine's Surficial Geology
- Our virtual tour (PDF, 4.4Mb) is a series of photos which portray Maine's glacial landscapes and deposits.
- Originally published on the web as the Survey's "Site of the Month," these sites include more detailed descriptions of geologic features, field trips, and localities.
- Surficial Geologic History of Maine
- Introduction to Surficial Materials
- A General Introduction to the Presumpscot Formation - Maine's "Blue Clay" (PDF, 1.8Mb)
- Maine's Glacial Deltas (PDF, 1.8Mb)
- Maine's Glacial Moraines: Living on the Edge (PDF, 1.0Mb)
- Lake Levels and Climate Change in Maine and Eastern North America during the last 12,000 years (PDF, 0.4Mb)
- Maine's Ice Age Trail (PDF, 1.2Mb)
- Lidar Imagery Reveals Maine's Land Surface in Unprecedented Detail (PDF, 1.2Mb)
- A Trick of the Light: Seeing (or Not Seeing) Geologic Features Under Different Lighting Conditions (PDF, 0.9Mb)
Geologic Maps and Digital Data
- Available surficial geologic maps
- ONLINE surficial geologic map series
- PRINTED geologic maps
- Statewide geologic maps
- Simplified Surficial Geologic Map of Maine (PDF) (scale 1:2,000,000)
- Surficial Geologic Map of Maine, scale 1:500,000, edited by W.B. Thompson and H.W. Borns, Jr., 1985. A 42" x 52" color wall map showing the surficial geology of Maine. Includes sites of special interest, radiocarbon-dated sites, reference list, correlation chart, inset map of inferred extent of ice cover during deglaciation.
- A Guide to the Geology of Baxter State Park and Katahdin - Bulletin 43 - ON SALE NOW!
- The Geology of Sebago Lake State Park - web version of MGS Bulletin 11
- The Geology of Mount Blue State Park - web version of MGS Bulletin 17
- The Geology of Mount Desert Island - web version of MGS Bulletin 38
- The Geology of the Two Lights and Crescent Beach State Parks Area, Cape Elizabeth, Maine - web version of MGS Bulletin 26
- Surficial Geology Handbook for Coastal Maine (PDF, 5.8Mb)
- Bibliography of Maine Geology - For those interested in more in-depth research, the Bibliography of Maine Geology contains more than 12,000 references related to Maine geology. The Bibliography is part of our publications search site and the results displayed will have links to online Maine Geological Survey maps and publications.
Last updated on January 26, 2015