Digital Data for Surficial Geology (1:250,000)
This dataset contains statewide surficial geology map units for Maine at 1:250,000 scale. The Maine Geological Survey (MGS) developed the dataset which maps surficial geology map units from their Regional Surficial Geology maps published in 1987. The data for this coverage were digitized and coded from 1:250,000 scale mylars by the J.W. Sewall Co., in 1990, for the Maine Low-Level Radioactive Waste Authority. Some coding and edgematching errors exist. For a detailed description of the surficial unit types see "Surficial Geologic Map of Maine, 1985" available at MGS. The data were updated in 2006 to fix some coastal errors.
Instructions for Downloading Generalized Surficial Geology Data
- Using a web browser, go to the Maine Office of GIS Data Catalog. A topical listing of digital data layers will appear. Scroll down to the section titled Geological and geophysical.
- The dataset is named Surficial geology 1:250K (SURF).
- Click on the icons in the "Download" column to:
- View metadata.
- Download a .zip file of the surficial geology shapefile.
- Download a .kmz file to view the data using Google Earth.
Last updated on November 9, 2012