2013 Geocaching Challenge – there is more fun for everyone at Maine State Parks!
Discover 8 geocaches as you explore Maine’s spectacular State Parks and Historic Sites. From historic forts to our deepest wilderness, the Maine State Parks GeoTour offers something for everyone!
Play our 2013 GeoChallenge with a Maine State Parks Passport
and take home more than just memories! You could win a canoe, a GPS or some great mapping software.
HOW TO PLAY:
- Use your existing Passport or Obtain a Maine State Parks Passport from any Maine State Park or Historic Site between May 18 and September 3.
- Go to www.geocaching.com to create your login.
- Download the GPS coordinates to your GPS unit or mobile device at www.geocaching.com/adventures/geotours/maine-state-parks
- Using the coordinates, find as many Maine State Parks geocaches (during normal park hours) as you can! The hidden, water-tight containers will be clearly marked as official Maine State Parks Geocaches. You may begin your hunt at any park you choose, but to be eligible for prizes, you must find all eight caches by September 3.
Hint: caches are only located at the following Maine State Parks:
- Allagash Wilderness Waterway
- Aroostook State Park
- Cobscook Bay State Park
- Colburn House State Historic Site
- Colonial Pemaquid State Historic Site
- Mount Blue State Park
- Vaughan Woods Memorial State Park
- Wolfe’s Neck Woods State Park
- Sign the logbook inside each container, and stamp your passport with the unique stamp from that park’s geocache. (There is a “first-to-find” collectable geocoin in each cache!)
- Upon completion of the Maine State Parks 2013 GeoChallenge, just see the park manager or person in charge at any State Park for an authorized signature. Collect all 8 unique Maine State Parks geocache stamps by September 3, and you’ll be entered in a drawing to win some fantastic prizes!
ONE GRAND PRIZE:
Saranac 160 CANOE, 2 Carlisle paddles, and 2 Extrasport PFD’s
Courtesy of our friends at Old Town Canoe and Kayak (package retails for $879.95!)
TWO SECOND PRIZES:
PN-60w handheld GPS device (retails for $299.95 each!)
Donated by DeLorme.
TWO THIRD PRIZES:
Garmin eTrex 10 handheld GPS device (retails for $109.99 each!)
Donated by Poland Spring Water Co./Nestle Waters
FIVE FOURTH PRIZES:
Topo North America Desktop Software packs (retail for $99.95 each!)
also donated by our partners at DeLorme.
TEN FIFTH PRIZES:
Collectable geocoins (front and back of coin featured on this page)to keep or trade.
Donated by the Friends of Maine State Parks.
For more information about the Maine State Parks GeoTour and the 2013 GeoChallenge, go to: