Municipal Separate Stormwater Sewer Systems (MS4s)
Related page: Waste Discharge Program
The MS4 general permits describe permit coverage and limitations, definitions, authorization and notice requirements, stormwater program management plan requirements, and standard conditions for municipalities, transportation MS4s and state federally-owned MS4s.
- David Ladd, (207) 215-7168
- Waste discharge laws. 38 MRSA § § 413, et. seq. (off-site).
- Water classification laws. See the Classification page.
- General Permits for Certain Wastewater Discharges, Ch. 529, (off-site).
- See also the Waste Discharge Program Page.
- Note: links are to on-line rules maintained by Maine's Secretary of State's Office. Files are in msword and sometimes take a little while to load.
- Notice of Intent (NOI) Part A.
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination Manual -- A Handbook for Municipalities. January, 2003. New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission. (off-site)
The three MS4 general permits became effective July 1, 2008.
- NPDES Phase II Stormwater Program -- Automatically Designated MS4 Area Maps
- Urban impaired stream watershed map in Google Earth
- Instructions for Using the Model Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) for Municipal/State Highway Garages
To obtain hard copies of the materials listed above, call your nearest DEP regional office, or email.