Voluntary Response Action Program (VRAP)
In 1993, the Maine Legislature established the Voluntary Response Action Program (VRAP). The VRAP allows applicants to voluntarily investigate and cleanup properties to the Department's satisfaction, in exchange for protections from Department enforcement actions. The VRAP is intended to encourage the cleanup and redevelopment of contaminated properties within the state.
For more information about VRAP contact Nick Hodgkins at (207) 287-4854.
38 MRSA 342, Section 15, Technical Services establishes the authority to administer the program
38 MRSA 343-E, The Voluntary Response Action Program establishes the framework for participation in and certification by the VRAP Program
38 MRSA 343-F, Reporting & Disclosure Requirements establishes the requirements for reporting to the DEP if contamination is present at a property
38 MRSA 3001, et seq, Uniform Environmental Covenants Act (UECA) establishes the requirements for writing and recording Declarations of Environmental Covenants, which are required at all VRAP sites that include engineering and/or institutional controls as part of the remedy.
- Application submission requirements for parties using VRAP
- VRAP Application (MS Word format) (pdf format)
- Voluntary Response Action Program Public Communication Decision Matrix
- The Division of Remediation Sites List Database - the public record of sites in the Division of Remediation, including all VRAP sites. (htm Format)
- VRAP Issue Profile - has a Q & A format, and responds to the most commonly asked VRAP questions. (htm format)
- Sample UECA template – (MS Word format) (pdf format) to be used as a template for drafting Declarations of Environmental Covenants. Each document will need to be modified to reflect site specific circumstances and need to be reviewed by the VRAP and/or the Attorney General’s Office before being finalized, but this template contains boilerplate language that will appear in any document that is consistent with statute.
- Remediation Program Guidance: Guidance for the Investigation and Clean-up of Contaminated Sites in Maine
- Division of Remediation Quality Assurance Plan
- Remediation and Waste Management's SOPs, Guidance and Guidelines