Nonpoint Source Water Pollution Control Grants ("319")
The Maine Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) through the Nonpoint Source Grants (NPS) Program, funds and administers grant projects to prevent or reduce nonpoint source pollutants from entering Maine's water resources. Projects are funded with grant money provided to Maine DEP by the U.S. EPA under Section 319 of the Clean Water Act.
Who is eligible
Maine public organizations such as state agencies, soil and water conservation districts, regional planning agencies, watershed districts, municipalities, and nonprofit (501(c)(3)) organizations are eligible to receive NPS grants.
Contact: Norm Marcotte (207) 215-6277
Annual Request for Proposals
Annually in April, the NPS Program issues a Request for Proposals (RFP) for competitive NPS Water Pollution Control Projects. Project types include watershed implementation (installing BMPs to reduce pollutants), watershed surveys (identifying pollution sources) and watershed-based plans (long-term plans to improve impaired waters). The timeframe for submitting project proposals is between late April and early June.
Guidelines and Resources for Grant Recipients
Files are in PDF format unless otherwise noted. Free Adobe Acrobat Reader
- 319 NPS Management Program Quality Assurance Program Plan
- Maine Lake and Stream Watershed Survey Generic Quality Assurance Project Plan
- Construction of BMPs at Road-related Sites, Guidance for NPS Projects
- Outreach Guidance for NPS Watershed Implementation Projects
- Stream Survey Guidance for NPS Projects
- Lake Watershed-based Protection Plans Guidance
- NPS Grant Administrative Guidelines Contains key procedures and forms needed by Grantees for defining responsibilities, reporting work done, estimating pollutant reductions, requesting payment, etc. Frequently used forms:
- Invoice (reimbursement) (msword fill-in format); pdf format
- NPS Site Report (msword fill-in format); pdf format
- Pollutants Controlled Report (msword fill-in format); pdf format
- MBE/WBE Utilization Report (msword fill-in format); pdf format
- Progress Report - NPS grant (msword fill-in format); pdf format
- NPS Site Tracker Tool