General Permit: Net Pen Aquaculture
A permit is required for the direct or indirect discharge of pollutants to waters of the State pursuant to Water Pollution Control, 38 M.R.S.A. § 413. The Department may issue a general permit authorizing the discharge of certain pollutants pursuant to 06-096 CMR 529. The similarity of discharges from net pen aquaculture facilities has prompted the Department to issue this General Permit for those facilities located in Class SB or SC waters east of Naskeag Point in Brooklin, except those waters in the area north of a line from Schoodic Point in Winter Harbor to Baker Island in Cranberry Isles, then west to Naskeag Point in Brooklin, Maine.
- Contact for permitting: Bill Hinkel (207) 485-2281.
- Contact for compliance:Clarissa Trasko (207) 941-4572.
Statute and rule
- For statutes and rules applicable to the Waste Discharge Program, please see the Waste Discharge Program page.
- Text of general permit (pdf file) April 2014
- Fact sheet, and response to comments (pdf file) April 2014