HIV, STD, and Viral Hepatitis Program
Program Contacts and Information - STD Control and Prevention
The Maine STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease) Program is a federally funded state program responsible for activities pertaining to the reportable STDs; chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis. Additionally, the STD program works closely with the HIV Programs to assist with specific follow up activities related to HIV.
Disease surveillance for gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis.
Critical follow up activities by disease intervention specialist (DIS) that includes;
Notification of disease for chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis and HIV
Providing anonymous partner services for all gonorrhea, syphilis, and HIV and prioritized chlamydia cases
HIV Transmission Prevention cases
Infertility Prevention Project targeting females 15-24 years old. This project funds chlamydia and gonorrhea screening and treatment when necessary to women 15-24 and those 25 and above who qualify based on specific risks.
To provide funding to the 3 STD clinics located in Portland, Bangor and Lewiston that provide routine STD screenings including HIV, Hepatitis C testing, and Hepatitis A and B vaccinations.
Annual planning of the Comprehensive Sexuality Education Conference in conjunction with key partners.
Various educational outlets to inform the public about STDs.
- To improve appropriate and timely treatment for persons diagnosed with chlamydial infection and their partners.
- To improve partner services in order to impact disease transmission rates in Maine.
- To improve STD clinical services at all sites by ensuring that those visiting the STD clinics are provided comprehensive, integrated prevention and care services.
Data Collected and Available:
- Disease reports, demographic breakdowns, disease follow-up statistics.
- Total chlamydia : 3094
- Total gonorrhea: 272
- Total early syphilis: 20
Cross Program Collaborations
The STD Program functions through an integrated approach with the HIV Prevention, Care and Surveillance Program and Viral Hepatitis for daily activities (disease work), community contracts, policy development, program management and leadership, cross program funding, and prevention campaigns. Additionally, other key collaborators are Maine CDC, Teen and Young Adult Health Program, Department of Education whom we collaborate with for the Sexuality Education Conference planning as well as the Maine CDC Office of Rural Health and Primary Care.
The STD Program partners with the City of Portland, City of Bangor, Western Maine Community Action Health Services, Family Planning Association and Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, school based health centers and New Beginnings Youth Agency on a regular basis.
Federal CDC - Division of STD Prevention: (97% of budget) $304,400
State Funding: (3 % of budget) $8,000
4 Full Time Employees (salaries in part funded by HIV Prevention)
- Maine HIV, STD and Viral Hepatitis Program
- Federal CDC Division of STD
- National Coalition of STD Directors
- Federal CDC
- NCSD (National Coalition of STD Directors)
- Region I Infertility Prevention Project Board Member
- Region I STD Programs Collaborative