Benefits of Breastfeeding
Breast milk is the best food for a baby. It is always changing to meet a baby's needs. Breast milk contains just the right amount
of fatty acids, lactose, water and amino acids (protein) for a baby's digestion, brain development and growth.
Colostrum, the early milk produced by a breastfeeding mother, is rich in nutrients and antibodies. It is the perfect starter food for a baby.
There are many benefits to breastfeeding. Some are more beneficial to the mother while others are more important to the baby.
- Breastfeeding requires no special preparation.
- Breast milk is fresh, clean and at the right temperature.
- Breast milk is nutritionally superior to any alternative.
- Breast milk is the least allergic of any food for a baby.
- Breast milk has many special substances that protect against infection.
- Breastfed babies have fewer illnesses and stomach upsets.
- Breastfed babies are less likely to be overfed.
- Breastfeeding causes the mother's uterus to contract. This helps her body return to its pre-pregnancy shape.
- Breastfeeding promotes good jaw and tooth development.
- Breast milk is easy to digest and is gentle on the baby's stomach.
- Breastfeeding may help protect the mother against breast and ovarian cancer.
- Breastfeeding generally costs less than commercial formulas. Since there are usually no containers to wash, heat, or dispose of with breast milk, breastfeeding may have a positive environmental impact.
- Breastfeeding promotes a close mother-baby bond.
- Breastfeeding may help a mother return to her pre-pregnancy weight sooner.
- Monday - Friday 8am-5pm
- Voice: (207) 287-3991
Instate Toll Free:
TTY: Maine relay 711
- Mailing address:
11 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333
Phone Number to your
Local WIC Clinic
East Wilton 207-645-3764
Presque Isle 207-768-3026
FY Policies (PDF*)
- Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts
- Produce Safety
- FDA Looks for Answers on Arsenic in Rice
- Dole Fresh Vegetables Announces Precautionary Recall of Limited Number of Salads
- Keeping Your Food and Water Safe during Floods, Hurricanes, and Power Outages
- Constituent Updates
- Bumble Bee Foods Voluntary Recall on 5-Ounce Chunk Light Tuna Products Due to Loose Seals
- Townsend Farms Voluntarily Recalls
- Kraft Voluntarily Recalls String Cheese