HETL Mission Statement - Core Functions
The goals of the Health and Environmental Testing Laboratory are to isolate, identify, analyze and monitor any biological, chemical, or radiological hazards which are capable of causing harm. We will assist other agencies in the prevention, treatment, and control of such hazards which threaten the community or environment. These essential services shall be provided cost effectively through a fee schedule established with the flexibility of making them available regardless of the publics ability to pay. Other roles include consultation with other agencies on state policy development and the quality assurance oversight of services provided by the public and private sectors.
RAPID RESPONDER TO SUSPECTED OUTBREAKS AND CONTAMINATION EVENTS:
- The HETL, in concert with public health agencies and other laboratories, will have the capability to rapidly identify, track and contain outbreaks and sources of biological or chemical public health threats.
INTEGRATED INFORMATION MANAGER:
- The HETL will provide an important link for the accumulation, blending, and distribution of scientific information in the support of public health programs. The HETL will also provide expert consultation on analytical data generated at the HETL and data generated elsewhere.
- The HETL will be a leader in epidemiological surveillance and environmental testing. Laboratory data will provide necessary information to assess and monitor environmental health. Low detection level analyses will provide an indicator of change, before significant health effects can occur.
ADVOCATE FOR APPROPRIATE AND HIGH QUALITY TESTING:
- The HETL will be recognized as the source of quality information, and serve as the standard for municipal and private laboratory performance. Certification of other laboratories will be based upon standards set here and the federal standards defined by laws and regulations.
REFERENCE SERVICE PROVIDER:
- The HETL will expand its role as the reference testing site for Maine and provide a model of efficient, low cost, quality testing that assesses public and environmental health through appropriate testing.
TECHNICAL AND OPERATIONS RESEARCH LEADER:
- The HETL will be recognized as a source of state of the art technology, both technical and operational. The HETL will have direct connectivity to technological advancement within the State.
- The HETL will assist the state in test selection for investigative research.
PUBLIC SAFETY ENFORCEMENT:
- The HETL will provide analytical, technical, and enforcement capability to help control the abuse of alcohol & drugs and the attendant public health consequences.