Evidence-Based Practices (EBP) Resources
This page has links to numerous national and state resources providing information regarding evidence-based practices and the use of research and data to promote quality mental health services. It should be of interest to individuals receiving mental health services, family members, advocates, mental health services providers, researchers and policy makers.
Maine DHHS Office of Adult Mental Health Services Evidence-based Practices Procedural Guidelines
- This September 2007 document explains the vision and principles
guiding the development and implementation of evidence-based
adult mental health practices in Maine. It also defines key
Evidence-based Practices Procedural Guidelines - (Microsoft Word* | Adobe PDF*)
A Review of Adult Mental Health Mobile Crisis Programs
This report summarizes the results of a review of eleven adult mental health mobile crisis programs conducted November 2007 through January 2008. The review was based on the Maine Mental Health Crisis Services Standards, initially developed by crisis providers and subsequently updated by the Office of Adult Mental Health Services as specified in the October 2006 Consent Decree Plan. The results of this review will be used to make improvements in adult mental health mobile crisis services.
- A Review of Adult Mental Health Mobile Crisis Programs (Word* | also in Adobe PDF*)
Report on How Well Maines ACT Teams Adhere to Treatment Guidelines
In 2006 the DHHS Office of Quality Improvement and Office of Adult Mental Health Services assessed all of the Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) Teams in Maine to determine if they are being implemented as intended.
ACT is an intensive service provided on a 24/7 basis to individuals with severe mental illness who experience the most difficult symptoms and have the most serious problems living independently in the community. Due to the nature of the symptoms these individuals experience, they are often hospitalized, homeless, involved in the criminal justice system, and/or using illegal substances. “Fidelity” to the treatment model is important because research indicates high fidelity ACT teams are more effective than low fidelity ACT teams in reducing the use of psychiatric hospitalization and successfully assisting individuals to live safely and independently in the community.
- Report on How Well Maines ACT Teams Adhere to Treatment Guidelines (Word* | also in PDF*)
- Final report (2003) from the President's New Freedom Commission on Mental Health
- A downloadable manual for consumers, families, providers, and administrators about understanding and implementing Evidence-Based Practices.
- Information for consumers and providers on effective psychosocial treatments. (Search engine included.) Covers adult, child, geriatric, chemical dependency and health behavior therapies
- Evidence Based Practices: Shaping Mental Health Services Toward Recovery. Downloadable files of portions of 5 EBP Implementation Resource Kits.
- This guide provides a list of Web sites with information about specific EBPs or reviews of research findings. It could be helpful to stakeholders seeking to promote awareness of current research and to increase the implementation and availability of evidence-based practices (EBPs).
- The NRI is a non-profit corporation devoted to issues of the public mental health system. The mission of the NRI is to promote quality and accountability of mental health services by generating and facilitating the use of relevant research, data, and information that meets the collective and individual needs of state mental health agencies.
Evidence-Based Practices Website (Developed by the National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors Research Institute)
- What different States are doing regarding EBPs
- Children's EBPs
- Fidelity assessment
- Infrastructure support for EBPs
National Implementation Research Network (At Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute)
- Fixsen, D.L., Naoom, S.F., Blase, K.A., Friedman, R.M, Wallace, F. (2005).
Implementation Research: A Synthesis of the Literature (Publication #231)
Evaluation Technical Assistance Center (At the Human Services Research Institute)
- Toolkits on outcome measurement, fidelity assessment, development of program manuals, performance indicators, quality, etc.
- "Metabase" - database of literature reviews of specific practices
- Information on evidence grading systems
- How to develop new evidence-based practices
- Comprehensive report and action plan for behavioral health workforce development
- Executive summary and quick reference guide also available