There are always new reasons to visit the Maine State Aquarium. We have new animals, displays, and educational programs happening all the time so each time you visit you'll discover something different. Select one of these links, or scroll down the page.
Hours | Admissions | Directions | Contact info | Planning your visit | Events | Weather | Facebook | Survey | Disclaimer
The Aquarium is currently closed for the season.
We will reopen Memorial Day weekend, May 25, 2013, seven days a week (including holidays), from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, to September 29, 2013, closed Mondays and Tuesdays in September.
The aquarium is also closed for school field trips and other groups. For qualified educational groups, we will be open by appointment only (pre-reservation) in May 2013, beginning May 14. More information and group reservations here.
Also see the daily events calendars below.
- Adults (age 13 to 65) --$5.00
- Seniors (age 65 and up) --$3.00
- Youth (age 3-12 with adult family member) --$3.00
- Children (age 2 and under with adult family member) --FREE
- Seasonal Membership (Family) --$60.00
- Seasonal Membership (Individual) --$30.00
- Seasonal Membership (Resident Family) --$45.00
- Seasonal Community Discount Pass --$150.00
- School groups--$2.50 per student, teachers free; see details and reservation info here
- Summer camps/Daycares--$2.50 per person
(Reservations need to be made 2 weeks in advance to get this rate.)
(Price does not include additional programs or guided activities - call for more information)
- Groups and Tour Groups--Call for rates and see group details and reservation info here
(Reservations need to be made 2 weeks in advance)
(Price will not include additional programs or guided activities - call for more information)
(Group rate discounts are available for school and tour groups only)
- Gift passes are available
- Guests interested in having a Birthday Party at our facility please contact us for more information and pricing.
Planning your visit
Some helpful hints for planning your visit to the aquarium:
- Enjoy a memorable picnic lunch with us! Pack a picnic and enjoy the views from our picnic tables that overlook Boothbay Harbor. There are restrooms and a gift shop, but no food concessions within walking distance.
- If you are bringing children, be sure to have them wear older clothes and bring a dry change. Our touch tanks are very popular and kids can get wet when exploring the creatures in the water.
- Bring a camera to capture those special moments at the aquarium.
- The weather in Maine can be unpredictable, so be prepared when you come. A weather report can be found here.
- Learn more about what our area has to offer at the Boothbay Chamber of Commerce web site or the Boothbay Harbor Chamber of Commerce web site.
- And don't forget to pack your curiosity!
Events include the Summer Science Festival, and daily tours of the DMR laboratory, sport fishing lessons, talks on lobsters, sharks, and other animals, and more. The following links are PDF files, and may require Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader software (download here free) to view or print. Please contact
if you need a different format.
Survey - Win Prizes!
- Have you visited recently? Want to share your thoughts? Please fill out our survey and be entered to win one of our great prizes — like a free family pass, free seasonal membership, or one of several great educational toys! Follow this link to fill it out: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MSAGuestSurvey
The Maine State Aquarium does not, at any time, guarantee that there will be certain species — including sharks — on display. Exhibits are subject to specimen availability and specimen health. If at any time aquarium staff feel that specimen health is in jeopardy — whether by sickness, stress, or guest interaction — they reserve the right to take specimens off display. In the event that staff feel that the health of specimens in our touch tank areas is being compromised from guest interactions, they reserve the right to ask guests to leave the exhibit area for the safety of our specimens.