Northern Shrimp (Pandalus borealis) Survey
An annual trawl survey for northern shrimp is conducted in the western Gulf of Maine each summer aboard the R/V Gloria Michelle. The survey is a collaboration of the Ecosystems Survey Branch of the Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC) (NOAA, NMFS), the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC), and biologists from Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. Data collected during the survey contribute to the annual northern shrimp stock assessment, as well other fish stock assessments.
Some of the links below are PDF files, which may require Adobe Reader software (download here free) to view or print. Please contact Maggie Hunter if you need a different format.
- Biology, latest stock assessment, and fishery management of northern shrimp in the Gulf of Maine (c/o ASMFC)
- Methods and results of recent surveys (brief reports) from NEFSC
For more in-depth analyses and trends, see the latest stock assessment at the first bullet above.
- Pictures from the 2005 survey by Judy Angsten
- More information about the R/V Gloria Michelle
- Description of the survey net from NEFSC, pdf file, 5 pages
- Sample cruise track map (from 2007 survey), pdf file, 1 page, 205 kb
- Information for volunteers, via NEFSC Ecosystems Survey Branch
- Shrimp and fish identification guides
- Online guide to shrimp identification by Sandy Sutherland, NEFSC
Contact Maggie Hunter for the login id and password.
- Shrimp species and sexing diagrams, pdf file, 2 pages, 147 kb
- Bigelow & Schroeder's Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, 1953 ed., via the Gulf of Maine Research Inst.
- A Practical Guide to the Marine Animals of Northeastern North America by Leland W. Pollock, from Rutgers University Press, via Google Books
- Guide to Some Trawl-Caught Marine Fishes from Maine to Cape Hatteras by Donald D. Flecsher from NOAA, via NEFSC, pdf file, 5MB !