Northern Maine (Zone 6 & 7)
Peak Week: Last Week in September
- Tourism Driving Tour: Museums, Parks & Peaks
Get started in Bangor and head north into Baxter State Park and views of Mt. Katahdin.
- Tourism Driving Tour: The County Circuit
This tour begins in Houlton and loops around northernmost Maine, through Caribou, the Acadian Village, Fort Kent, and Presque Isle, and includes Aroostook State Park.
Featured State Parks
- Hiking trails at Aroostook State Park in Presque Isle provide popular foliage viewing from Quaggy Joe Mountain.
- Eagle Lake Management Unit located on Route 11 (a designated scenic highway) in Eagle Lake boasts colorful views of fall foliage as well as views of Squa Pan and Mt. Katahdin.
- Check out the Squaw Public Reserved Lands Management Unit, including Little Squaw and Big Squaw Mountains viewed from Route 15 in Greenville. Big Squaw Mountain hiking trails offer a workout for the more seasoned hiker.
- Wassataquoik Management Unit is located in T3 R7 WELS in Penobscot County. The unit is reached by traveling along a scenic gravel road over private land from Route 11 to Whetstone Falls on the East Branch of the Penobscot River, then travel northerly to the unit and Wassataquoik Stream. There are roadside views of the river and stream with rolling topography in the background.