Home > Historic
Sites > History
The Upper Mill, 1816-1886
Built in 1816 to expand Mayall’s production,
the Upper Mill continued to produce woolen cloth until
it was destroyed by fire in 1886. This photograph was
taken in the 1800s when the mills were in operation.
The Lower Mill appears in the
right background. Despite the fire and decades of decay
one corner of the Upper Mill still stands.