Forts at Pemaquid
The stone tower and walls at Colonial Pemaquid are
a 1908 partial reconstruction of Fort William Henry. The original
structure was the second of three forts built on this site.
The bastion of the fort contains interpretive panels and artifact
exhibits as well as a beautiful view of the area from the
The first fort at this site was Fort
Charles, a wooden stockade structure built in 1677 and
destroyed in 1689 by native Americans allied with the French.
The Colony of Massachusetts built Fort
William Henry in 1692 as protection for its eastern frontier.
However, Native Americans destroyed it as well in 1696.
British Col. David Dunbar built Fort
Frederick in 1729 on the ruins of Fort William Henry.
It was maintained by the British until 1759 when it was abandoned
and fell into ruin.
Private interests reconstructed a portion of
Ft. William Henry, still present today, in 1908. The area
to the right of the bastion door shows a mixture of structures
from both Fort William Henry and Fort Frederick excavated