Enrolling in an Approved Charter School
Current Enrollment Opportunities
Maine Connections Academy is accepting enrollment applications for grades 7-12 for the 2014-2015 school year from April 4, 2014-May 5, 2014, subject to approval of a charter contract between Maine Connections Academy, Inc. and the Maine Charter School Commission.
Intent to Enroll forms are available at http://www.connectionsacademy.com/maine-online-school/home.aspx.
Hard copies are available at the following address:
John Larouche, Esq. (Board Counsel for Maine Connections Academy)
5 Community Drive # 3
Augusta, ME 04330
Phone: (207) 623-3535
Terms of Charter School Enrollment
Under Maine's charter school law, any student residing in the State of Maine may enroll in a public charter school.
Enrollment cannot be denied based on where the student lives within Maine, nor on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, income level, limited English proficiency, or academic or athletic ability.
Charter school enrollment may be limited as follows:
- Enrollment may be limited to students of specific ages or grade levels
- Enrollment is not on a first-come, first-enrolled basis. Each school has an enrollment window, and if student interest within that window exceeds capacity, the names of all interested students are placed in a pool and drawn at random
- The charter school law limits the number of students who can be drawn from surrounding schools districts in the first three years of a charter school's operation. No more than 5 percent of a grade level can be drawn from school administrative units with fewer than 500 students, and no more than 10 percent of a grade level can be drawn from school administrative units with 500 or more students.
Charter school slots may be reserved only for certain students, as follows:
- A charter school must give preference to its prior-year students and to their siblings.
- A charter school may give preference to the children of charter school founders, board members and full-time staff, but not more than 10 percent of the student body.
How Do Students Enroll?
Take a look at each of the approved charter schools' websites below for details about enrollment.
- Baxter Academy for Technology and Science, Portland
- Cornville Regional Charter School
- Fiddlehead School of Arts and Science, Gray
- Harpswell Coastal Academy
- Maine Academy of Natural Sciences, Hinckley
- Learn more about the authorized charter schools at the Maine Charter School Commission website