School Choice Meeting Agenda - Sept. 17, 2012
Outcomes - Goals for the meeting
- Understand the charge to the Stakeholder Group
- Establish meeting norms
- Understand the school choice options available to Maine’s K-12 students today
- Develop consensus around broad principles that should inform school choice policy in Maine
- Develop a list of issues that must be considered in developing a choice model
- Plan next steps and schedule next meeting(s)
3 p.m. - Welcome, introductions, and review of the agenda and charge to the panel
3:10 p.m. - Review of proposed meeting norms, discussion and decision
3:25 p.m. - Commissioner describes school choice options available in Maine today
3:40 p.m. - Discussion of current school choice options, requests for further information
4 p.m. - Discussion of key questions to help guide the development of a public school choice model for Maine
- What is the public policy goal that a public school choice model is intended to achieve?
- A public school choice model should do what?
- What are the issues that the must be considered in the development of a public school choice model?
- Funding of school choice programs
- Transportation of students, specifically special education students
- Establishing responsibility for the provision of special education services to choice students
- Ensuring choice options for disadvantaged students
- Discuss and determine the goals of the choice model to be developed
- Discuss and determine stakeholder group information needs
4:45 p.m. - Discuss next steps and schedule next meeting. How would the stakeholder group like to move forward with its work?
5 p.m. - Adjourn