The Maine Department of Education is committed to providing and promoting professional development opportunities that support efforts in developing and implementing quality comprehensive school health education.
For technical assistance or professional development information, contact the Maine DOE Health Education and Health Promotion Coordinator or the Health Education and Physical Education Consultant.
Conferences & Workshops
- 2014 Maine Schoolsite Health Promotion "Wellness" Conference. The Maine Department of Education is pleased to offer the 2014 Maine Schoolsite Health Promotion Program "Wellness" Conference to be held Tuesday June 24 - Thursday June 26, 2014. If you are interested in sending a team to this fabulous professional development event email email@example.com immediately. The cost is $215 per person. Schools must send a team of at least 4. This conference offers 3 full days of outstanding schoolsite health promotion and wellness professional development at Sugarloaf. The conference will feature nationally renowned motivational and educational keynote and featured presenters.
- Loretta LaRoche is an acclaimed speaker, author and international stress management and humor consultant who will use her contemporary wit and a hearty dose of old-world wisdom to teach us how a positive attitude can help us take care of ourselves and manage life's inevitable ups and downs.
- Jessica Lawrence is a champion for school health who engages her audiences with high energy presentations filled with fun and humor. Jess will share tips and strategies throughout her presentation for establishing and maintaining a culture of wellness in our schools and for ourselves as individuals. She will do this as she shares lessons learned during her 2013 coast to coast bicycle adventure.
- Skill-building plenary session leaders
- Michelle Owens, from the Alliance for a Healthier Generation on leadership skills for creating a culture of health and wellness
- Maine’s own Teacher’s Lounge Mafia on team and committee building skills
- Teams will experience three days filled with more than 30 workshops and learning opportunities to assist in the development and maintenance of a culture of health promotion and wellness at the local level including:
- interactive presentations on leadership and team building to support a schoolsite health promotion and wellness team;
- presentations on a variety of programming ideas, school policy, and personal wellness;
- dedicated team time for drafting a year-long action plan for a comprehensive wellness program including staff and student health promotion; improving school climate; enhancing health related policies; and supporting health education and physical education.
Conference Information (PDF, 224K)
Conference Keynotes (PDF, 61K)
Conference Application (PDF, 176K)
Conference Scholarship Application (PDF, 122K)
- Come experience a top quality professional development event this June, the 29th Annual Wellness Conference!
Online Learning Opportunities
- University of Maine at Farmington (UMF) LibGuides for Health. These health-related links were compiled by Laurie MacWhinnie, head of reference services at UMF. Click on the course or content area and use the tabs across the top of the pages to find related web resources, books, articles, etc.
- SHE 233: Teaching Health in Elementary Schools. Recommended web resources for teaching health topics and tips for evaluating information from the web.
- SHE 330: Foundations of School Health. Recommended resources for researching and developing a coordinated school health program.
- SHE 433/533: Curriculum and Methods in School Health Education. Recommended resources for school health curriculum, coordinated school health programs and professional resources on the web for health educators.
- HIV Biomedical Update (PDF, 4.3MB). This presentation, compiled by the Virology Treatment Center at the Maine Medical Center, offers the latest information and statistics on HIV.