Laws & Policies
Many laws, statutes, rules and policies govern and guide Maine’s education system. A quality physical education curriculum will align to and incorporate related laws and policies. The following laws and policies are relevant to physical education.
Maine Physical Education Regulations for the Implementation of Maine Learning Results
- Chapter 125: Basic Approval Standards: Public Schools and School Administrative Units(DOC)
- Chapter 127: Instructional Program, Assessment and Diploma Requirements(DOC)
- Elementary course of study
- Junior high or middle school course of study
- Proficiency-based diploma standards
- Secondary schools general requirements (PDF)
- System of learning results established
- The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act requires schools to provide physical education to a child who has a disability and an Individualized Education Program, as part of the child's special education program.
State Physical Education-Related Laws
- Maine Concussion Law. Review head injury safety requirements for school athletic programs.
Federal Physical Education-Related Laws
- Federal Wellness Policy. Each year, schools in Maine must establish a federal wellness policy.