School Security has many associated State and federal laws, rules and guidelines related to individual schools and school administrative units. This information is beneficial to school superintendents, administrators and school boards.
An Order Updating the State of Maine Emergency Response and Disaster Assistance Teams. Governor Paul R. LePage issued this executive order, effective in 2011.
State Laws & Rules
- Maine Education and School Statue Title 20-A
- Approval for person paid to work in school, Section 13024
- Bomb threat information in student handbooks, Section 1001.18
- Duties of school boards; comprehensive emergency management plan, Section 1001.16
- Firearms, Section 6552
- Response to school bomb threats, Section 263
- School bomb threat response policies, Section 1001.17
- Title 1 General Provisions
- Maine DOE Code of Maine Regulations, 05-071 CMR Chapter 125: Basic Approval Standards, including:
- Emergency evacuation drills, Section 10.02.A
- Emergency procedures, Section 10.02
- Enforcement measures, Section 14.03
- Safety procedures, Section 10.03
- School bomb threat policy and reporting requirements, Section 10.06. Learn how to report a school bomb threat.
- School health and safety services, Section 10
- School inspections, Section 13.03
- Student code of conduct, Section 10.05
- Student transportation, Section 10.08
Federal Laws & Guidelines
According to the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) report, “There are no federal laws requiring all school districts to have emergency management plans, most states and school reported having requirements for such planning, and federal and state governments and school districts provide financial and other resources.”
- Emergency Preparedness for Persons with Disabilities (PDF). U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (U.S. DHHS) offers resources on emergency preparedness for people with disabilities.
- Guide For Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans. This guide is recommended for use with planning teams responsible for developing and revising school Emergency Operations Plans. This document is collaboration between six federal agencies: U.S. Departments of Education, Justice, DHHS, and Homeland Security; Federal Bureau of Investigation; and Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- School Emergency Management Report (PDF). The U.S. GAO prepared this document to report to congressional requestors.