Federal Audit Requirements
Department of Education Federal Audit Requirements for School Administrative Units, Public Charter Schools and Private Non-profit Agencies:
Any non-Federal entitites that expend a specified amount (*see below for guidelines) of Federal awards in a year are required to obtain an annual audit in accordance with the Single Audit Act Amendments of 1996, Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-133, "Audits of States, Local Governments and Non-Profit Organizations," the OMB Circular A-133 Compliance Supplement and Government Auditing Standards.
* From now until December 26, 2014, expenditures of $500,000 or more of Federal awards require a Single Audit (A-133). Beginning December 26, 2014 and going forward, expenditures of $750,000 or more of Federal awards require a Single Audit (A-133) until a new guideline is published.
OMB Circular A-133 "Audits of States, Local Governments and Non-Profit Organizations"
- OMB Circular A-133 Compliance Supplement 2013 - (for 2013 Programs)
- OMB Circular A-133 Compliance Supplement 2012 - (for 2012 Programs)
Here is a link to a brochure entitled: "Single Audit Basics and Where to Get Help" http://harvester.census.gov/fac/cfoBrochure2005.pdf
- The Department of Education requests annual audits for Private Non-profit Agencies to meet requirements set forth in:
- 34 CFR Part 74 - Administration of Grants and Agreements With Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals, and Other Non-Profit Organizations § 74.26 and § 74.51; OR
- 34 CFR Part 80 - Uniform Administrative Requirements For Grants And Cooperative Agreements to State and Local Governments § 80.26 and § 80.40.
How do I request a Federal Audit Extension:
Penalties for non-compliance:
- Penalties in accordance with Office of Management and Budget Circular A-133, Section_.225 Sanctions
- Penalties in accordance with 34 CFR, Section 80.12 - Special Grant or Subgrant Conditions for "High-Risk" Grantees
- Penalties in accordance with 34 CFR, Section 80.43 - Enforcement
Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Federal circulars & OMB Circular A-133 – Audits of States, Local Governments, and Non-Profit Organizations:
Federal Audit Clearinghouse operates on behalf of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and its primary purposes are to:
- Distribute Single audit reporting packages to federal agencies.
- Support OMB oversight and assessment of Federal award audit requirements.
- Maintain a public database of completed audits.
- Help auditors and auditees minimize the reporting burden of complying with Circular A-133 audit requirements.
Government Auditing Standards - (The Yellow Book) or generally accepted government auditing standards
Please direct any questions to:
Department of Education
23 State House Station,
Augusta, Maine 04333
Phone: (207) 624-6790
Fax: (207) 624-6791