Overview of Higher Education in Maine
Maine is unique in so many ways! This is particularly true when one considers higher education. Maine has no department or commission of higher education or post-secondary education. Rather, the Maine Department of Education has been configured to serve as a pre-kindergarten through grade 16 agency concerned with the progression of learning from the earliest years through the baccalaureate experience.
Both the University of Maine System and the Maine Community College System are autonomous entities with all policy, procedures and administrative oversight vested in their respective boards of trustees. Similarly, Maine’s private higher education institutions are governed by their own oversight boards. State oversight of the activities of public and private schools, colleges, and universities primarily centers upon degree-granting authorizations, educator preparation program approvals and renewals, and private-for-profit proprietary school licensure. Given this context, Maine is blessed by a rich and diverse community of higher learning options that deserve to be explored.
About this Web Site
The web site has been assembled to serve as an aid for individuals seeking to know more about higher education both in Maine and beyond on many levels. It was designed to:
- assist prospective students and their parents/counselors with information for consideration at the point where higher education and training options are being explored;
- link individuals with reputable and reliable sources where advice and technical support is available regarding financial assistance;
- enhance understanding of program options when traditional versus non-traditional learning modes are being evaluated;
- assist individuals exploring in-state and out-of-state graduate education options;
- familiarize individuals with the significance of accreditation as well as the dangers represented by diploma mills;
- aid individuals considering professional educator preparation programs as well as for professional educator preparation program administrators who need to be advised as to current procedures and standards for state program approvals;
- assist Maine higher education officials planning to secure authorization for the offering of additional degree programs;
- aid out-of-state higher education officials by providing the procedures and standards to be met if an accredited institution seeks to offer academic courses or programs within Maine;
- assist individuals in-state or out-of-state who have an interest in establishing, licensing, or re-licensing private, for-profit, proprietary training options in Maine;
- assist graduates of closed Maine schools or colleges with the location of their academic records for the generation of needed transcripts;
assist k-12 teachers in determining their eligibility for forgiveness or cancellation of student loans.
It is hoped that this site will prove to be useful for the wide array of individuals who will use it. Contact Us with comments, suggestions or questions.
Higher Education, Maine Department of Education
23 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0023
Telephone: (207) 624-6600
Fax: (207) 624-6841