SCHOOL CLOSING INFORMATION
Why is the school being closed?
The closing of a school building by a school administrative unit may only occur under the following conditions pursuant to Title 20-A MRSA §4102:
- Replaced by new building. The school building has been replaced by other school buildings as part of a school construction project that has been approved by the state board or the commissioner in accordance with chapter 609.
A letter to the Commissioner of Education indicating the following:
- Date and Results of the School Board Vote regarding closing the school
- Name and location of the school to be closed
- Name and location of the new building(s) replacing the school
- Date the school will officially close
- Condemned. The school building has been condemned and ordered closed by local or state officials for health and safety reasons.
- Lack of need. The building has been deemed to be unnecessary or unprofitable to maintain by the governing body of the administrative unit. Before a building may be closed under this subsection, a report shall be filed with the commissioner.
Please direct any questions to:
Department of Education
23 State House Station,
Augusta, Maine 04333
Phone: (207) 624-6790
Fax: (207) 624-6791