October 20, 2010 Commission Meeting
Click the title of an agenda item below to view a pdf file of the
meeting materials relating to that item.
Agenda - AMENDED
Meeting of October 20, 2010, 9:00 a.m.
Commission Office, 45 Memorial Circle, 2nd Floor, Augusta, Maine
1. Investigation of Cutler Files (partially discussed in executive session) (new materials added 10/19/10)
The Commission counsel and staff wish to respond to the First Amendment argument presented by the attorney for the Cutler Files website.
2. Request by Walter J. Eno concerning Columnist Bill Nemitz
The Commission has received a request by Walter J. Eno of Scarborough to consider whether columnist Bill Nemitz has violated election laws because of his advocacy against Paul LePage. Staff recommendation: the staff recommends taking no action on this matter, because of the exception in the campaign finance law for newspaper commentaries.
3. Request by Maine Democratic Party concerning Paul LePage
The Maine Democratic Party has filed a request that the Ethics Commission investigate whether the 2010 gubernatorial campaign of Paul LePage has received an in-kind contribution in the form of a company car which Marden’s Surplus & Salvage has provided to the candidate.
4. Request by Maine Democratic Party concerning Poll (no materials for this agenda item)
The Commission staff wishes to provide an update to the Commissioners on a staff investigation of a poll conducted by Target Point Communications and Western Wats among Maine residents concerning candidates for the State Senate.
5. Request by Maine Republican Party concerning Elizabeth Mitchell Campaign (NEW ITEM)
Gubernatorial candidate Elizabeth Mitchell is running a television ad featuring her family. The Maine Republican Party requests that the Commission consider whether she has spent Maine Clean Election Act funds to assist the campaigns of two of her children and her husband, who are also candidates for office.