Unemployment insurance provides temporary, partial wage replacement to workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own. This page provides information for people filing for unemployment. Click here for information for employers.
- 6/3/2013: Education Forums Assist Social Security Beneficiaries in Identifying Work Opportunities
- 6/3/2013: June Workshops at the Presque Isle CareerCenter
Before you call the Unemployment Claims Center...
Call volumes at Unemployment Claims Center are very high - the best way to file for benefits or to find out the status of your claim is to use online services for unemployment claimants. To reach the Unemployment Claims Center by phone, call 1-800-593-7660 between 8:00 AM and 4:45 PM Monday through Friday. Please keep in mind that Mondays are high call volume days with 20-30 minute wait times. Wait times drop significantly later in the week.
Unemployment Programs Available in Maine
- State Unemployment Insurance (UI) - for workers who have lost their job for reasons beyond their control.
- Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) - temporary federal program providing additional weeks of benefits after UI is exhausted. Additional eligibility requirements apply.
- Workshare - for workers at qualified businesses experiencing a temporary slowdown in work.
- Other special programs - for workers laid-off from the military or Federal Government, people who lost their jobs due to foreign trade and natural disasters, and laid-off workers enrolled in training.