Home → Unemployment Insurance
*** Tips for Using the New Unemployment Web Portal ***
- You should only create one portal account. If you have already gone through the steps to open an account, be sure you have checked your email to activate your account by following the directions before starting to create an account again.
- The system will give you three tries to type in your correct email and password. After the third unsuccessful attempt, the system will lock you out for 24 hours. After two tries, click the link for either Forgot your email? or Forgot your password? and follow the directions. This will prevent your account from locking you out.
- Do not use a false email address. You MUST have access to a valid email address in order to activate your account by going to the email address that you used to create the portal account and then following directions to validate the account. The Department of Labor will not provide your email address to any third party.
- Each person filing for a portal account must have his or her own email address.
- A new portal account needs to be set up even if you have used the previous unemployment web claims system.
- Your Maine Job Bank account is different than your unemployment web portal account, the Job Bank login will not work on the web portal.
- If you call for customer assistance, be sure to let the person who answers the phone know which account you are calling about to make sure you are speaking to the correct staff person who can help you. We may refer you to other staff.
- To file, you must be registered with the Maine Job Bank , http://www.mainecareercenter.com (or the state job bank of the state where you reside).
- Find answers to frequently asked questions about the upgrade and the Maine Job Bank registration requirement at http://www.maine.gov/labor/unemployment/mjb.html .
- Expect increased call volumes and wait times during February as people adjust to the new system. Please be patient. Before filing or calling the department, you should review the information the department has sent to you and has posted on our website.
- File a new unemployment claim
- File a weekly unemployment claim
- Look-up the status of your claim
- File an appeal
- Register or use the Maine Job Bank
- Your rights and responsibilities when you are collecting unemployment benefits
- Information about the Maine Job Bank Requirement and Answer to Questions
- Benefit payment options
- Other special programs for laid-off workers
- What to do when your benefits are running out
- Report new hire information
- Register your business
- Respond to Separation / Wage Information Request
- File an appeal
- WorkShare: an alternative to temporary layoffs
- Difference between employees and independent contractors
- Unemployment laws and rules
- How to respond to separation information request
- Unemployment Tax Glossary