Legal aid organizations
Chambers of Commerce
Maine constitutional officers
- Attorneys General
Secretaries of State
- Maine legislators
Maine notable persons
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress -
Biographical information for members of Congress from 1774 to
- the official directory of the U.S. Congress,. Presents short biographies of each member of the Senate and House, listed by state or district, and additional data, such as committee memberships, terms of service, administrative assistants and/or secretaries, and room and telephone numbers. It also lists officials of the courts, military establishments, and other Federal departments and agencies, including D.C. government officials, governors of states and territories, foreign diplomats, and members of the press, radio, and television galleries.
U.S. Representatives from Maine 1821-
U.S. Senators from Maine 1821-
- Council of State Governments - News, policy links, and resources for state governments.
- Maine Municipal Association - News, convention information, products and services.
National Conference of State Legislatures
- News and services for state legislatures and directories of state legislatures and legislative staff.
National Center for State Courts - An independent, nonprofit court improvement organization founded at the urging of Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Warren E. Burger. NCSC services — research, information services, education, consulting — are focused on helping courts plan, make decisions, and implement improvements that save time and money, while ensuring judicial administration that supports fair and impartial decision making.
National Governors Association - News, policy positions, and reports on topics of currents interest to state government.
- Judges Directory - Current judges of the U.S. District Court for the District of Maine.
- Members of the Supreme Court of the United States -
A moveable timeline of members who have served since 1880. There are also brief biographies of the sitting justices.
- Maine District Court Judges - Directory information for current judges.
- Maine Superior Court Justices - Directory information for current judges.
- Maine Supreme Court Justices - Directory information for current justices with links for biographical information.
- Maine Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justices and Associate Justices 1820- List of justices compiled by the Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library.
- The Supreme Judicial Court of the State of Maine, 1820 to 2007 - From Cleaves Law Library, a chronological list of the Chief Justices, including brief biographies and photographs.
- Find a Lawyer - LexisNexis' lawyer directory which includes a search by practice area or geographic location, links for a name search , tips for hiring and working with a lawyer, as well as legal topics for browsing.
West's Legal Directory (FindLaw)
- Search forms for lawyers and law firms and links for browsing by state or practice area and articles on hiring and paying a lawyer.
Legal aid organizations
also Help Yourself Legal Resources
- Cumberland Legal Aid Clinic - Free legal services for financially-qualified clients in southern Maine provided by students from the University of Maine School of Law.
Also links to other helpful organizations.
- Legal Services Organizations (Pine Tree Legal Assistance)
- Links to sites offering free legal assistance throughout the country, including law school legal aid programs, public interest sites, and bar foundations.
Maine Lawyer Referral and Information Service - Helps many people find a standard-fee attorney appropriate to their legal problems. One $25 will cover up to three referrals, if needed, to attorneys who will not charge for the first half-hour of a consultation.
Maine's Legal Services for the Elderly - Free legal services for socially and economically needy Maine residents age 60 and over.
Pine Tree Legal Assistance - Legal services to Maine people whose income is one hundred twenty-five percent of the federal income poverty guidelines or less.
Volunteer Lawyers Project - Public interest legal assistance to Maine's low-income community.
- American Bar Association
- Links for ABA publications, activities, and services.
Legal Associations and Organizations (FindLaw)
- Links to national and specialty legal associations, state and local associations, and foreign and international legal associations.
Maine Board of Bar Examiners
- Information about the Maine bar examination, including application forms and procefdures.
- Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar
- Links relating to the regulation of the professional conduct of attorneys, including the grievance process and legal fee arbitration.
- Maine State Bar Association
- Links for news and meeting information and an online bookstore of Continuing Legal Education materials.
- Cleaves Law Library - The Portland law library organized by the Cumberland Bar Association and also open to the public.
- Locate federal government documents and the libraries which collect them.
- Garbrecht Law Library - The law library for the University of Maine School of Law.
Library of Congress - Links for searching the collection and for research groups, including law researchers.
- Library Resources on the Internet
- Lists of libraries in the U.S. and in other countries that maintain sites on the Internet.
Maine County Law Libraries (State of Maine Judicial Department)
- Information about Maine's county law libraryies and their resourcesand the State Court Library Committee.
- Maine Library Directories (Maine State Library)
- Searchable directory.
Participating Libraries - List of links to
homepages of University of Maine and public libraries that share the URSUS online catalog.
Chambers of Commerce
- Maine State Chamber of Commerce - The official page which includes links to the local chambers, newsletter, affiliates, and news, events and current issues.
- Maine constitutional officers
- Attorneys General 1820- A list compiled by the State Law and Legislative Reference Library.
- Governors of Maine 1820- A list compiled by the State Law and Legislative Reference Library.
- List of Governors of Maine - A Wikipedia list of Maine's governors since 1820, complete with biographical information, dates in office, party affiliation and additional notes.
- Secretaries of State 1820- A list compiled by the State Law and Legislative Reference Library.
- Treasurers of State 1820- A list compiled by the State Law and Legislative Reference Library.
Maine legislators (listings of specific people and service records)
- Find Your Legislator by searching your address
- Legislators Biographical Database - Service records and party information, from 1820 forwards, maintained by the Law Library. Searchable by town of residence or surname.
- Presidents of the Maine Senate 1820-
- Representatives - List of the current members of the Maine House of Representatives.
- Senators -Lists of current members of the Maine
Senate arranged by number of terms, county, town or committee, et al.
- Speakers of the Maine House of Representatives 1820-
- Tribal Representatives to the Maine Legislature, 1823 - Present - Chronological list of legislative representatives from the Penobscot Nation and Passamaquoddy Tribe. A representative will also be includedfrom the Houlton Band of Maliseets beginning with the 125th, Second Regular session (2012)..
- Maine Notable Persons
- Maine Notables - An informational database, from the Maine State Library, of people with Maine connections who have gained fame or notoriety for a variety of reasons, including public service. You may be surprised at some of the people who are from Maine or have a connection to Maine. Listed in each entry is biographical data, connection to Maine, and claim to fame.