Safety Improvement Funding
Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU) provides Federal funding to support state’s safety efforts.
These funds are applied in areas intended to reduce the number and severity of crashes that occur on Maine's public roads.
SAFETEA-LU funding includes these transportation safety areas:
- The Hazard Elimination Program (HEP) focuses on general road safety problems such as lane departure, intersections and roadside safety.
- High Risk Rural Roads program focuses on construction and operational improvements on rural Collector and Local roads
- The Rail-Highway Crossing Program is directed at railroad grade crossing safety problems at public roads.
- Safe Routes to School provides funds for infrastructure and non-infrastructure strategies that encourage and enable children to walk and bike to school.
- Other strategies that address road and driver safety issues.
This page last updated on