Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

MEMA Home > Programs> Communication> News > Residents of Cumberland and York Qualify for Storm Aid

Residents of Cumberland and York Qualify for Storm Aid


May 9, 2007

12:00 PM


AUGUSTA – Governor John Baldacci learned today the residents of York and Cumberland counties who were affected by the Patriots’ Day Storm can qualify for direct federal assistance.

“For families and businesses in York and Cumberland counties that were hurt by the Patriots’ Day Storm, this is great news,” Governor Baldacci said. “It means that people can get federal help for damage that isn’t covered by their insurance. This will make a real difference as they work to recover from the storm.”

Individuals can begin the application process by calling 1-800-621-3362; 1-800-462-7585 (TTY). Individuals can also register at

Twelve counties in Maine have qualified for federal assistance to make repairs to public property, such as roads and bridges. To date, only York and Cumberland counties have qualified for individual assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The federal assistance may be used for temporary housing, repairs and for disaster-related expenses not covered by insurance or other assistance programs.

FEMA assistance does not typically cover the entire cost to repair storm damage. For people with insurance, the aid may help pay for basic needs not covered by insurance.

FEMA's assistance for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, an applicant must complete an SBA loan application to be eligible for assistance that covers real estate, business losses, personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

“It’s important for people to apply for assistance even if they have insurance claims pending,” Governor Baldacci said. “The only way to know for sure if they qualify for assistance is to apply.”

Officials also note that residents who have called their local emergency management or the Red Cross will now need to call FEMA or apply online to apply for federal disaster assistance.



Last update: 07/20/10