Home and Family: Getting Started
The best things in life are free...
Like being ready as a family for any emergency. Here are some simple steps to get you started. And they are absolutely free.
- Talk about what might happen: blizzard, fire, flooding, etc.
- How would you find out about it?
- Do you know how to contact each other? (See Communications Plan)
- What would you need if you couldn't get out for a few days?
- What are the most important things to take with you if you had to leave your home? If you go to a shelter, you may need pillows, blankets, and snacks to eat until the shelter is fully functioning. Think about financial papers, check books, credit cards, etc.
- Plan together about the special needs of your children and others in your family.
- Is there a blanket or special toy loved by a child?
- Is there a member of your family who requires special accommodations?
- Plan for your pets as well. They are a part of your family too.
Low Cost, High Value
Once you have talked through how you would deal with an emergency as a family, there may be a few things that you don't have on hand, that you want to pick up.
- Flashlights or a battery radio if you don't have one
- Fresh batteries for your flashlights and radio
- Non-perishable food for your home supply kit, or "Go kit" (what's on sale this week?)
- A little extra pet food or litter, to make sure you have enough on hand.
Use our Build a Disaster Supply Kit to begin making small purchases that can help out a lot. You're on your way!