Tree Cutting and Trimming Safety
Tree Chipper Safety
- Maintain a safe distance between the chipper and other work or workers
- Be sure wheels of portable chippers are chocked so they cannot move while chipping
- Use ear plugs, safety glasses, hard hats and gloves.
- Never reach into a chipper while it is operating!
- Do not wear loose-fitting clothes around a chipper.
Tree Trimming and Removal:
- Work within 10 feet of power lines must be done by trained professionals.
- Do not attempt to trim or remove trees near power lines yourself!
- Do not attempt to trim or remove trees in dangerous weather conditions
- Determine the direction trees or limbs will fall before you start removing them.
- Be especially careful around bent, twisted or leaning trees.
- Be extra cautious around trees hung up in other trees.
- Always wear personal protective equipment.
- Never turn your back on a falling tree – it may kick, snap or bounce in unexpected ways.
- Be alert for objects falling from or thrown back by a tree as it falls.
- Identify a retreat path to a safe location before starting trimming or removal of any kind.