> Tips > So you think we don't have tornadoes in Maine?
So you think we don't have tornadoes in Maine?
July 1, 2013
Maine has on average two tornadoes a year, often associated with severe thunderstorms. In fact we've had two already this year! The safest place to be during a tornado is in a basement, under a sturdy piece of furniture. If you don't have a basement, find an interior room or hallway on the ground floor, away from windows, and use pillows or blankets to pad your body. Never stay in a mobile home or vehicle. Get out and go to the nearest sturdy shelter, or lie flat in a ditch or other low spot, and cover your head with your hands. Learn more.
Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- December 12, 2013: The First Day of Christmas: A Portable Radio
- December 11, 2013: Make a list and check it twice
- December 10, 2013: Light up your life when the power goes out
- December 9, 2013: Christmas trees unfortunately make great torches
- December 8, 2013: Anything can happen on the road, at any time
- December 7, 2013: It's a day of remembrance. Listen to those who remember.
- December 6, 2013: Candles and window drapes don't mix
- December 5, 2013: It's cold! Are your family and neighbors warm enough?
- December 4, 2013: Blowing and drifting snow: the gift that keeps on giving
- December 3, 2013: What, snow in Maine in the winter?
- December 2, 2013: "It's a Marshmallow World in the Winter" but don't get stuck
- December 1, 2013: "The first of December was covered with snow"?
- November 30, 2013: Share your best preparedness tip
- November 29, 2013: Space blankets, the final frontier
- November 28, 2013: Be thankful, and be safe
- November 27, 2013: Turkey safety alert! Thaw safely. cook thoroughly, enjoy heartily
- November 26, 2013: Go over the river and through the woods -- safely
- November 25, 2013: Sometimes asking for help is a sign of strength
- November 24, 2013: Look carefully and signal before changing lanes
- November 23, 2013: Slow down and get there faster
- November 22, 2013: Make your holiday gift decisions easy: NOAA Weather Radios
- November 21, 2013: Help your first responders by helping yourself
- November 20, 2013: Sometimes your parents actually are right
- November 19, 2013: Remember agencies who help in emergencies
- November 18, 2013: When your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, know what to do
- November 17, 2013: Carbon monoxide alarms can save a life
- November 17, 2013: Carbon monoxide safety is important outside your home as well as inside
- November 16, 2013: Rain, rain and more rain ... no matter what the season
- November 16, 2013: Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless killer
- November 15, 2013: It takes all needs to make a plan