Go over the river and through the woods -- safely
November 26, 2014
If you're traveling this Thanksgiving weekend, take these tips from the Maine State Police. Make sure your vehicle is ready for winter weather with winter tread tires, updated windshield wipers, and that the heater, defroster, lighting and battery are in good working order. Equip your vehicle with a blanket, shovel, booster cables, flares and a bucket of sand or salt for winter emergencies. Motorists needing help can call 911 on their cellular phone to be connected to the nearest State Police communications center. And finally, if you're driving, be well rested, avoid drinking and driving and expect some delays during the weekend.
Thanksgiving is a wonderful but surprisingly dangerous holiday! Check out our Turkey Day Safety fact sheetSign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- December 17, 2014: The Sixth Day of Christmas: Pet Disaster Supplies
- December 16, 2014: The Fifth Day of Christmas: Disaster Supplies
- December 15, 2014: The Fourth Day of Christmas: A Fire Escape Ladder
- December 14, 2014: The Third Day of Christmas: A Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- December 13, 2014: The Second Day of Christmas: A Smoke Alarm
- December 12, 2014: The First Day of Christmas: A Portable Radio
- December 11, 2014: Make a list and check it twice
- December 10, 2014: Light up your life when the power goes out
- December 9, 2014: Christmas trees unfortunately make great torches
- December 8, 2014: Anything can happen on the road, at any time
- December 7, 2014: It's a day of remembrance. Listen to those who remember.
- December 6, 2014: Candles and window drapes don't mix
- December 5, 2014: It's cold! Are your family and neighbors warm enough?
- December 4, 2014: Blowing and drifting snow: the gift that keeps on giving
- December 3, 2014: What, snow in Maine in the winter?
- December 2, 2014: "It's a Marshmallow World in the Winter" but don't get stuck
- December 1, 2014: "The first of December was covered with snow"?
- November 30, 2014: Share your best preparedness tip
- November 29, 2014: Space blankets, the final frontier
- November 28, 2014: Be thankful, and be safe
- November 27, 2014: Turkey safety alert! Thaw safely. cook thoroughly, enjoy heartily
- November 26, 2014: Go over the river and through the woods -- safely
- November 25, 2014: Sometimes asking for help is a sign of strength
- November 24, 2014: Look carefully and signal before changing lanes
- November 23, 2014: Slow down and get there faster
- November 22, 2014: Make your holiday gift decisions easy: NOAA Weather Radios
- November 21, 2014: Help your first responders by helping yourself
- November 20, 2014: Sometimes your parents actually are right
- November 19, 2014: When your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, know what to do
- November 18, 2014: Carbon monoxide alarms can save a life