> Tips > Snow on the roof means headaches are on the way
Snow on the roof means headaches are on the way
March 3, 2014
That snow on your house, porch, garage or barn looks postcard-pretty. But it weighs a ton. Clear off roofs to avoid problems when those old rafters just can't handle the strain any more. And while you're at it, make sure all heating system vents and chimneys are clear of snow. If they're not, carbon monoxide can back up inside your home and make for a dangerous health hazard.
Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- September 17, 2014: Would a major disaster affect your business?
- September 16, 2014: It's barely fall, but winter is around the corner
- September 15, 2014: Stop at the cash machine on your way home tonight
- September 14, 2014: Remember why we're preparing for emergencies
- September 13, 2014: There's a nip in the air. Check your wood stove for safety
- September 12, 2014: Stop, look and listen
- September 11, 2014: On this day of remembrance, remember also yourself and your family
- September 10, 2014: Make sure your generator is properly installed
- September 9, 2014: Plan now for an investment in safety
- September 8, 2014: Find out about your workplace emergency plan
- September 7, 2014: Where are those important papers, anyway?
- September 6, 2014: You don't need to give the shirt off your back
- September 5, 2014: Does a tropical depression mean being sad in Bermuda?
- September 4, 2014: It may be football season, but it's hurricane season too!
- September 3, 2014: When your community needs help, that help could be you
- September 2, 2014: If you want to volunteer, get ready now
- September 1, 2014: What does National Preparedness Month mean to you?
- August 31, 2014: Think about how you can help those who've been through disaster
- August 30, 2014: What did you learn from Hurricane Katrina or Sandy?
- August 29, 2014: Today is nine years from Hurricane Katrina
- August 28, 2014: Lightning can hurt you even before it rains
- August 27, 2014: Floods kill people during hurricanes
- August 26, 2014: Storm surge is not for surfers
- August 25, 2014: Ready, set, get out of your house!
- August 24, 2014: Learn how to "turn off" your house
- August 23, 2014: Use anti-flea products for your pets safely
- August 22, 2014: Think green for chemical safety
- August 21, 2014: Keep the Poison Center number handy
- August 20, 2014: Some things should never mix
- August 19, 2014: Are your cupboards poisonous?