How to prevent CO Poisoning during Power Outages
November 3, 2014
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas formed when burning most types of fuels. Using gas-powered generators, charcoal grills, and gas grills can cause poisoning if CO gas builds-up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces, even if windows and doors are left open.
For more information, please visit the Maine CDC website at: http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/storm/index.shtmlSign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- December 19, 2014: The Eighth Day of Christmas: First Aid Kits
- December 18, 2014: The Seventh Day of Christmas: A NOAA Weather Radio
- December 17, 2014: The Sixth Day of Christmas: Pet Disaster Supplies
- December 16, 2014: The Fifth Day of Christmas: Disaster Supplies
- December 15, 2014: The Fourth Day of Christmas: A Fire Escape Ladder
- December 14, 2014: The Third Day of Christmas: A Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- December 13, 2014: The Second Day of Christmas: A Smoke Alarm
- December 12, 2014: The First Day of Christmas: A Portable Radio
- December 11, 2014: Make a list and check it twice
- December 10, 2014: Light up your life when the power goes out
- December 9, 2014: Christmas trees unfortunately make great torches
- December 8, 2014: Anything can happen on the road, at any time
- December 7, 2014: It's a day of remembrance. Listen to those who remember.
- December 6, 2014: Candles and window drapes don't mix
- December 5, 2014: It's cold! Are your family and neighbors warm enough?
- December 4, 2014: Blowing and drifting snow: the gift that keeps on giving
- December 3, 2014: What, snow in Maine in the winter?
- December 2, 2014: "It's a Marshmallow World in the Winter" but don't get stuck
- December 1, 2014: "The first of December was covered with snow"?
- November 30, 2014: Share your best preparedness tip
- November 29, 2014: Space blankets, the final frontier
- November 28, 2014: Be thankful, and be safe
- November 27, 2014: Turkey safety alert! Thaw safely. cook thoroughly, enjoy heartily
- November 26, 2014: Go over the river and through the woods -- safely
- November 25, 2014: Sometimes asking for help is a sign of strength
- November 24, 2014: Look carefully and signal before changing lanes
- November 23, 2014: Slow down and get there faster
- November 22, 2014: Make your holiday gift decisions easy: NOAA Weather Radios
- November 21, 2014: Help your first responders by helping yourself
- November 20, 2014: Sometimes your parents actually are right