Be good to your oil tank
March 7, 2014
Here are some wise words from Tom the Spill Responder (Tom Varney from Maine DEP):
"Every year in Maine frost heaves and falling ice and snow cause hundreds of oil spills from outside heating oil tanks. I've seen the mess they make of backyards, basements and wells. Clean up means lots of digging once the snow melts. Property values fall. Costs mount up. So, protect yourself. Talk to your oil dealer about installing a simple filter protector...and about mounting your tank on a regulation slab. It's worth it".
For more information, visit http://www.mainedep.comSign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- October 24, 2014: Snow will soon be here
- October 23, 2014: Turn on your winter brain
- October 22, 2014: It's cold and flu season; stock up on orange juice
- October 21, 2014: Flood watches mean watch for flooding
- October 20, 2014: Flooding can happen any time
- October 19, 2014: There is always something new to learn
- October 18, 2014: One plus one is more than two
- October 17, 2014: Construction Work Zones
- October 16, 2014: Get those leaves out of culverts, gutters and ditches
- October 15, 2014: When you build that first fire, build it safely
- October 14, 2014: Who is your local emergency manager?
- October 13, 2014: It's been a beautiful fall -- but winter's coming
- October 12, 2014: Planning starts with teamwork
- October 11, 2014: Help your school be ready for emergencies
- October 10, 2014: Find out about the emergency plan at your child's school
- October 9, 2014: Make sure your pets have their emergency kits handy
- October 8, 2014: Find out what kinds of emergencies could affect you
- October 7, 2014: Talk with Grandma and Grandpa about getting through "the big one"
- October 6, 2014: What's your best disaster tip?
- October 5, 2014: The best defense against disaster is a good insurance policy
- October 4, 2014: If it could fall, move it or tie it down
- October 3, 2014: If you're installing a wood stove, install safety with it
- October 2, 2014: Recovery from disaster shouldn't have to take a lifetime
- October 1, 2014: The leaves are turning: is your car ready for winter?
- September 30, 2014: Celebrate a beautiful fall day by enjoying it with your family
- September 29, 2014: Flood insurance might be your best investment
- September 28, 2014: What's invisible, odorless and can kill you?
- September 27, 2014: Listen to your kids when it comes to safety
- September 26, 2014: Hands off! To avoid colds or flu
- September 25, 2014: Be prepared for automobile emergencies