> Tips > Be good to your oil tank
Be good to your oil tank
March 7, 2014
Here are some wise words from Tom the Spill Responder
(Tom Varney from Maine DEP):
"Every year in Maine frost heaves and falling ice and snow cause hundreds of oil spills from outside heating oil tanks. I've seen the mess they make of backyards, basements and wells. Clean up means lots of digging once the snow melts. Property values fall. Costs mount up. So, protect yourself. Talk to your oil dealer about installing a simple filter protector...and about mounting your tank on a regulation slab. It's worth it".
For more information, visit http://www.mainedep.com
Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- March 6, 2014: Rainy days are good days to take stock of your emergency supplies
- March 5, 2014: Beware backache and heartache
- March 4, 2014: Have a generator? Maybe you only think so
- March 3, 2014: Snow on the roof means headaches are on the way
- March 2, 2014: Imagine the lights just went out ...
- March 1, 2014: Flood season begins today -- and every day
- February 28, 2014: Go ahead, take the day off
- February 27, 2014: I love it when a plan comes together
- February 26, 2014: Layer up for warmth
- February 25, 2014: Drive within your headlights
- February 24, 2014: Dress in layers for the latest in fashion safety
- February 23, 2014: Most of us don't drive the Daytona 500
- February 22, 2014: Keep your wood stove and furnace vents apart
- February 21, 2014: Keep fire safety in mind when using a wood stove or heater
- February 20, 2014: Safe snowmobiling is even more fun
- February 19, 2014: What special help can you give?
- February 18, 2014: The simplest emergency plan is a list of phone numbers
- February 17, 2014: Take care digging out
- February 16, 2014: Make safety and emergency planning your business
- February 15, 2014: Some things just don't get better with age
- February 14, 2014: Love will help you weather the storm
- February 13, 2014: Always use alternate heaters safely.
- February 12, 2014: Cold weather is hard on your heart
- February 11, 2014: In cold weather, eat and drink wisely
- February 10, 2014: Bundle up your house to conserve heat
- February 9, 2014: The power of two
- February 8, 2014: All of us are stronger than one of us
- February 7, 2014: When does taking care of yourself help your neighbors?
- February 6, 2014: Button up that overcoat when the wind blows free
- February 5, 2014: Stay right side up on ice and snow