Bylaws of the Board of the Central Maine Library District Council
ARTICLE I: Name
The name of this organization shall be the Board of the Central Maine Library District Council.
ARTICLE II: Purpose
The Purpose of the Board shall be to:
- Develop, propose, and review District-wide programs of service with approval of the council.
- Develop, propose, and review the comprehensive District plan.
- Represent the needs of the District to the Maine Library Commission, the State Librarian and other officials and organizations.
ARTICLE III: Membership
Section 1: Composition
The Board shall be composed of nine representatives from District libraries, reflecting the general council membership. Membership shall be distributed among librarians, trustees and lay members. The District Consultant, the Director of the Area Reference and Resource Center, the Director of Library Development of the Maine State Library and the District's appointed representative to the Maine Library Commission shall sit with the Board in an ex-officio, non-voting capacity.
Section 2: Selection of Representatives
Nominees for board vacancies shall be solicited from the central Maine library community. An effort shall be made to find nominees that reflect an equitable geographic representation of the region. Nominees shall be reviewed by the Nominating Committee and the Committee’s recommendations shall be presented for Council approval at the Spring Council meeting.
Section 3: Duties of Representatives
- Attend all Executive Board meetings and District Council meetings
- Be informed about the CMLD’s mission, strategic objectives, and services
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to Executive Board meetings and be prepared to discuss
- Serve on committees and offer to take on special assignments
- Take minutes of Executive Board meetings
- Keep constituent libraries and library boards informed about CMLD
- Suggest to the Nominating Committee possible nominees
- Keep current on developments affecting Maine libraries
- Assist the Executive Board in developing its annual strategic plan
- Participate in evaluating the Executive Board’s effectiveness
- Serve as the Board of the CMLD Association
Section 4: Terms of Office
Terms of office shall be three years, beginning and ending with the Spring Council Meeting.
No member shall serve more than two successive full terms. In case of a vacancy the Board shall appoint a replacement to serve until the next scheduled election for that position.
Section 5: Attendance
When a Board member misses THREE consecutive meetings a vacancy may be declared.
ARTICLE IV: Officers
Section 1: Composition
The officers of the Board shall be Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer.
Section 2: Terms of Office
Officers shall serve a one year term. No individual shall be eligible to serve more than two consecutive terms in the same office. Officers shall be selected at the Spring Board Retreat.
Section 3: Vacancies
The Board shall appoint new members as vacancies occur.
Section 4: Duties of the Officers
All officers of the Executive Board shall also serve as officers of the District Council and the CMLD Association.
The Chair shall preside at all meetings of the Executive Board and District Council and shall perform all other duties customarily associated with this office
The Vice-Chair shall preside at all meetings in the absence of the Chair, assist the District Consultant with program arrangements for District Council meetings and other District functions, and shall perform the duties customarily associated with this office.
The Secretary shall record all meetings and insure that the minutes are distributed to the Board within one week after the meeting for comments.? The Secretary shall also distribute amended minutes of the last meeting to the board members in the week prior to the next meeting.
Section 5: Executive Committee
The elected officers of the Board shall constitute an Executive Committee who shall have all the power of the Board between meetings of the Board but which cannot modify any action taken by the Board.
ARTICLE V: Meetings
Section 1: Regular Meetings
Meetings of the Board may be called by the Chair or any three members and shall not occur fewer than four times per calendar year plus an annual meeting.
Section 2: Quorum
Five voting members constitute a quorum. In the absence of a quorum, motions may be tabled or put out for a vote via email within a designated time frame.
Section 3: Voting Procedures
Motions are passed by simple majority.? Votes may be taken either in person or via email.
ARTICLE VI: Committees
Section 1: Composition
The Board Chair shall appoint the Chair of each standing Committee immediately following the first Board Meeting in the fall. Each standing and ad hoc Committee Chair shall select individuals to serve for one year. Members of committees may be CMLD Board members or members of the general CMLD membership. Standing committees include Program, Public Relations and Nominating,
Section 2: Duties of Committee Chairs
- Ensure that committee members have the information needed to complete their tasks
- Report to the Executive Board’s Chair
- Report to the full Executive Board on committee decisions or recommendations
- Assign work to committee members, sets the agenda, and runs the meetings.
- Oversee the logistics of the committee’s work
- Ensure the distribution of committee communications
Section 3: Committee Formation
The Chair shall appoint such other committees as are necessary with the advice and consent of the Board.
ARTICLE VII: Parliamentary Authority
Meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the most recent edition of Robert's RULES OF ORDER.
ARTICLE VIII: Amendments
These Bylaws may be amended by simple majority vote of those members present and voting at a regular meeting provided the amendment has been submitted in writing to the Board at least two weeks prior to the meeting.