For Libraries - Library Development Division
- Maine Regional Library System with district consultant services and resources, continuing education opportunities and more
- Outreach Services consisting of the talking books, large print books, books by mail programs, services for people with disabilities
- Maine InfoNet [MIN] supported by the Maine State Library and the University of Maine System, is a partnership of Maine libraries dedicated to improving information and library service to all Mainers through online systems and technology. Information on MaineCat, Minerva, SOLAR, wireless, listservs, digital projects and more.
These programs above are administered by the Maine State Library and funded by partly or fully the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) through the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
Responsibilities within Library Development
- Administration of federal library-related programs
- State and federal data collection, compilation, and dissemination. Aggregating information from the public library annual reports is an important part of this function.
Services for Libraries/Librarians
Use the Library Value Use Calculator on your website!
- Statewide library community calendar: meetings, workshops, conference, and events
- Listservs: Stay current by subscribing to MELIBS, managed by Maine InfoNet. MELIBS-L hosts discussion of issues, events, activities and questions related to library service in Maine. Maine State Library announcements are posted here as well.
- District Consultants and their services: 3 library service districts, each with a district consultant; all part of the Maine Regional Library System; serves all public, school, academics, and special libraries in Maine.
- Job postings in Maine; library job descriptions
- Interlibrary Loan: Area Reference and Resource Center (ARRC) provide Interlibrary loan for libraries and citizens in the three districts of the Maine Regional Library System.
- Van Delivery Service is made up of all types of libraries across the state. It is a voluntary service and participants pay a fee related to the number of stops per week and the number of totes picked up per stop day.
- Who Loans What - Libraries in Maine accepting Interlibrary loan requests besides between Minerva or URSUS libraries
- Continuing Education - Learning Opportunities
- Advocacy and community relations: Different library calculators. resources, courses
- Marketing and Programing resources: MARVEL, Baxter the Mascot, graphics posters
- Educational media services including the video library
- Directories of Academic, Public, School and Special libraries, also public library trustee and friend presidents
- Grants and Funding: A listing of recommended funding sources for Maine Libraries. resources and tips to facilitate applying for grants
- Public Library Statistics: Public library statistical information and reports
- Legislation: Contact information for legislators, links to legislative documents, laws relating to libraries
- Public Library Definition - Working definition of a public library crafted by the Maine Library Commission, February 2012
- Technology services and resources
Some programs under Library Development are administered by the Maine State Library and funded by the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) through the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
- Important Dates for Directors [pdf, 81KB]
- For BTOP resources, see Digital Teaching; BTOP reporting
- Lawyers & Libraries Project
- $500 for Every Maine Baby's Future! pdf, 113 kb. Read about the Alfond Challenge The file above requires the free Adobe Reader.
- Info for the Download Library: e-Books & Audios
Troubleshooting on MARVEL
- Help with Ancestry
- Are you getting a technical EBSCO system error? Fix for EBSCO system error message
- Online Services/Forms for Librarians
- InfoNet, Minerva & SOLAR
- WebJunction Maine - Sign in or create an account at top right