Appendix H - Library Image Checklist
A library image checklist is an audit of the library's internal and external image including printed materials, signs, customer service, grounds and community perceptions. The following checklist includes basic elements in any such audit.
Outside of Building
- ___ Is the shrubbery or grass well maintained?
- ___ Are there areas in which flower beds could be created? If beds are there, are they maintained regularly?
- ___ Are the signs for the library in good condition? Can you read them? Are they large enough? Do they need repainting? Do they need to be lit?
- ___ Is there trash on the grounds? Are trash containers available? Are containers available outside for smokers to extinguish cigarettes?
- ___ Is visitor parking prominently marked and plentiful?
- ___ Is the entrance to the building clearly marked?
- ___ Where are directional signs to the library located in the community? Are the directions well marked and easy to understand?
Inside of Building
- ___ What does someone see when he/she enters the building?
- ___ Where is the main desk? Is it well marked with signs? Is it cluttered or neat? Is it staffed at all times?
- ___ Is there a place such as a bulletin board to post special information? Is it attractively displayed? Is everything current? Is it regularly cleaned?
- ____ Are the hours of operation posted clearly?
- ____ Are all areas of the library kept neat with books, magazines and other materials shelved or attractively arranged?
- ___ Is the furniture in good repair?
- ___ Are the floors or carpet cleaned frequently?
- ___ Are trash containers strategically placed throughout the library?
- ___ Are restrooms clearly marked and kept clean?
- ___ How is the library listed in the telephone book? Is the listing in all relevant areas of the book?
- ___ Do key information points such as the Chamber of Commerce, Town Hall, schools and local service stations know where your library is?
- ___ What do you do to help patrons with special needs?
- ___ Are the specific areas of the library easy to reach and well marked?
- ___ Do all patrons, regardless of needs or reasons for visiting the library, feel welcome?
- ___ Does the staff understand the importance of good customer service to the library?
- ___ Does the staff understand the role they play in developing and maintaining a positive image for the library?
- ___ Is customer service regularly promoted to the staff?
- ___ What do patrons see first when entering the library?
- ___ How attractive and inviting are the main desk, bulletin board, stacks, reading area, office and etc.?
- ___ Is the staff neat in appearance?
- ___ Is the staff knowledgeable about their specific area as well as the library in general?
- ___ Does the staff respond promptly and courteously to patron requests?
- ___ Do staff and board speak positively about the library and promote its services to civic, church and business groups?
Graphic and Printed Materials
- ___ Do you have letterhead and envelopes for the library?
- ___ Do your printed materials have a special format?
- ___ Are signs in the library easily read? Are they neatly done?
- ___ Are printed materials grammatically correct and spell checked?
- ___ Does the library have a logo?
- ___ Is it easily recognizable?
- ___ Is it current and does it reflect the image you want of your library?