FY 2008 Maine Public Library Statistics
The information in this report is designed to help librarians and trustees assess how well their libraries are performing, identify areas for improvement and make long range plans. The numbers can be used to:
- Show how the use of the library goes up over time
- Compare and contrast your library to nearby libraries or other libraries of the same size
- Combine census information and library statistical data in grant applications
- Illustrate the effectiveness of library services and programs
- Inform decision makers and your community about the value of the library
- Advocate for budget or staff increases
Use of the Value Calculator illustrates the Return on Investment (ROI) that an individual library returns to its community. Based on the total state numbers in this report, the ROI to Maine communities from Maine libraries is $57.24 value for every dollar invested.
Documents below are provided in PDF, Word or Excel formats. To view PDF documents, you will need the free Adobe Reader. To view Word documents, you will need Microsoft Word or the free Word Viewer. To view Excel files you will need either Microsoft Excel or the Excel Viewer. If you need assistance, view our PDF Help page or contact us at (207) 287-5620.
Maine Public Library Statistics: Annual Report 2008, [PDF, 1.3 MB - large file, 76 pages printed]
The link above allows you to print a copy. You do NOT see the complete data from the survey in this PDF nor can you manipulate the data as Excel files allow. You may want the print copy to review or handout to trustees. For further analysis and comparison you must download the Excel files below.
Using Maine Public Library Statistics Tables
Within Excel you may modify and manipulate the data as you wish.
- Download 2008 Excel workbook, [xls, 1.23MB - large file!]
The raw data, collected through the 2008 Annual Report for Maine Public Libraries, is available to analyze in one Excel workbook.
- How to Print
- NOTE: Colored tabs at the bottom of spreadsheets provide access to the different data sections
- By Population: Selected Data and Per Capita Figures
Data from the full workbook, selected per capita computations, and financial and services summaries. The bottom tabs provide links to the various data sections. The bottom tabs provide links to the various data sections. How to Print
In Excel (xls)
Profile, Top Ten, Comparison 2004-2008
- 2008 Maine Public Libraries Profile
- Maine Public Libraries Top Ten 2008, [PDF, 131 KB; Word, 229 KB]
- Financial Statistics for 2004-2008 with graphs, [PDF, 53 KB; Excel, 63 KB]
- Services Statistics for 2004-2008 with graphs, [PDF, 57 KB; Excel, 101 KB]
Copy of Survey and Definitions for 2008
Choose Print > In the Print dialog box be sure to select "Entire Workbook" under "Print What."
- Past Statistics
- Public Library Directories
- Past Annual Report ('08)
- Bibliostat Collect - Annual Report Online
- National Search for Public Libraries
- Institute of Museums and Library Services (IMLS)
- Compare Public Libraries
- Data, publications, and peer comparisons for public libraries